3.26 cGPA, 3.19 AMCAS sGPA, 3.28 AACOMAS sGPA, 508 MCAT where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS27

Reaction score
Hi! I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct place to post so sorry if I'm wrong!

Senior in Michigan graduating this year. 3.26 cGPA, 3.19 AMCAS sGPA, 3.28 AACOMAS sGPA all with upward trend and a 508 MCAT. I know MDs are a long shot but just wanted some input on what DO and MD schools to consider applying to.

EC and work info:
- 2 Years research experience with a senior thesis (continuing research during gap year)
- Multiple leadership positions in an org that works with a daycare in chicago providing free/reduced cost child care. Traveled to chicago multiple times to volunteer at daycare, fundraised thousands for daycare, helped tutor online
- Supporter on peer crisis line
- Part of a student org that works to develop policy briefs for a variety of issues (example combating poor air quality in low income areas)
- Serve as a peer mentor for incoming freshman
- Worked for rec sports on campus for 4 years and serving on a advisory committee
- Part of org that focuses on 1-on-1 programming and activities for senior citizens
- Leadership on Dance team

Gap year/End of senior year plans:
- Continuing research
- Shadowing/volunteering with an MD
- working at a nursing home
- taking post bacc classes (Any recommendations on how many credits to take???) OR If accepted doing a 1 years masters in Physiology

I plan on applying to all in-state programs but could use some help coming up with a list of out of state DO and MD programs I would have a shot at. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Will you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact before you submit your application ? If not, then you should delay your application until 2022.

Will you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact before you submit your application ? If not, then you should delay your application until 2022.
I believe is will have hours from shadowing as well as employment hours with patient contact before submitting my application!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe is will have hours from shadowing as well as employment hours with patient contact before submitting my application!
When are you going to start your shadowing and clinical experiences? Are you aware that the application cycle opens in May/June. So you don’t have much time. You need 50 hours of shadowing, 200+ hours of clinical experiences (paid or volunteer) and the same for nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community. With the appropriate ECs you might be Okay for DO but your GPAs are very low for MD. You should probably focus on DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Get those done asap. I don’t want to sound harsh but clinical+nonclinical volunteering+shadowing is what gets you into med school. Research and clubs don’t matter nearly as much.

Reactions: 3 users
I suggest these OOS DO schools with your stats:
MU-COM
CCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UNECOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these OOS DO schools with your stats:
MU-COM
CCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UNECOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
Thank you for this list! I've been doing Virtual Shadowing through a program lead by physicians at UTSW and I will be working at a assisted living center for 16 hours a week as a caregiver. Do you think it's even worth applying to any OOS MD programs?

Thank you for this list! I've been doing Virtual Shadowing through a program lead by physicians at UTSW and I will be working at a assisted living center for 16 hours a week as a caregiver. Do you think it's even worth applying to any OOS MD programs?
Your GPA is not competitive for any OOS MD schools.