• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

3.26 cGPA/ 517 MCAT WAMC and School List

clamwolf

Jul 27, 2017
Hi All,

I could really use your help. My AMCAS was verified today, but there's only one school on my list so far because I don't know where to apply. I finished undergrad nearly 10 years ago, so I'm non-trad. And I'm and AA female, so URM. I majored in a social science, so most of my GPA is made of of non-BCPM courses. I did a post-bac program to complete my pre-reqs, got almost all As and had a GPA around 3.8. I was hoping this would make my sGPA competitive, but thanks to an unofficially withdrawn Calc course freshman year and a B in a "science for non-majors" course, AMCAS calculated it at 3.45. I really need help with gauging my chances and formulating a school list.

cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 517
ECs: 8,000 hrs of paid medical employment (MA)
1,200 hrs hospital volunteer
2,000 hrs medical volunteer (health fairs, community outreach)
1,000 hrs non-medical volunteer (food kitchen, tutoring, non-profit work)
some research, but no pubs
CA Resident

I figure I might as well apply to the UCs? And I think I fit the mission of the HBCUs. But apart from that, where should I look? Are there schools that will prioritize mission fit over low GPA? Or schools that will focus on my recent grades vs. the ones from when I wasn't even thinking about medical school over a decade ago? What's realistic and how many in that category should I apply to? What's a reach, but possible? Am I completely cut off from top schools? Thank you for taking the time to read, and if you could offer any help, I'd very much appreciate it!

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Being a Californian, I suggest starting list with UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, and UCLA, and then sitting back and watching them duke it out for your hand, so to speak. You will have lots of suitors.

I also recommend the HBCs, including UCLA/Drew.

Then, simply work eastward. Any of those schools is yours.

And don't forget to aim high.

Hi All,

I could really use your help. My AMCAS was verified today, but there's only one school on my list so far because I don't know where to apply. I finished undergrad nearly 10 years ago, so I'm non-trad. And I'm and AA female, so URM. I majored in a social science, so most of my GPA is made of of non-BCPM courses. I did a post-bac program to complete my pre-reqs, got almost all As and had a GPA around 3.8. I was hoping this would make my sGPA competitive, but thanks to an unofficially withdrawn Calc course freshman year and a B in a "science for non-majors" course, AMCAS calculated it at 3.45. I really need help with gauging my chances and formulating a school list.

cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 517
ECs: 8,000 hrs of paid medical employment (MA)
1,200 hrs hospital volunteer
2,000 hrs medical volunteer (health fairs, community outreach)
1,000 hrs non-medical volunteer (food kitchen, tutoring, non-profit work)
some research, but no pubs
CA Resident

I figure I might as well apply to the UCs? And I think I fit the mission of the HBCUs. But apart from that, where should I look? Are there schools that will prioritize mission fit over low GPA? Or schools that will focus on my recent grades vs. the ones from when I wasn't even thinking about medical school over a decade ago? What's realistic and how many in that category should I apply to? What's a reach, but possible? Am I completely cut off from top schools? Thank you for taking the time to read, and if you could offer any help, I'd very much appreciate it!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.