3.27 CGPA 3.39 SGPA 27/37 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phliuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't really think of medical school the first few years of college, and it showed. I'm a recent graduate, and I'm applying this cycle.

My GPA has been increasing every year, started at about 2.9 freshman year.

Took the MCAT twice, once the june before last cycle, got a 27, as I was told by my advisor that if I wanted to apply that cycle, I would have to do it asap. So I barely studied and ended up with that 27. Over the summer, I took a review course and took it again in september, and got a 37.

Was a volunteer EMT senior year of college, about 50 hours of clinical shadowing in an ICU, about 10 hours in an OR. about 100 hours of nursing home volunteer work so far. 150 hours as a volunteer EMT. Currently working as an instructor for Kaplan for the MCAT and DAT. Also currently an EMT-B for a private ambulance company.

I applied late this cycle, got my application in about a month behind the starting point, finished secondaries in mid october.

Haven't gotten any interviews yet, starting to get worried. 4 rejections.

I'm worried my late applications will affect my chances of interviews, and I'm also worried that my initial low MCAT score will scare the review committees off. As for my GPA, it is what it is. Changed majors from Classics (latin) to one of my school's biology majors sophomore year.

So have at it, how do I look?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your current cGPA/sGPA?

Yes, unfortunately your late application will definitely reduce your interview chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your state of residence. If you're from a competitive state like CA or NY there's a good chance you'll need to reapply.

At the same time, b/c of your upward grade trend and 2nd MCAT you might still grab a couple interviews in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Depends on your state of residence. If you're from a competitive state like CA or NY there's a good chance you'll need to reapply.

At the same time, b/c of your upward grade trend and 2nd MCAT you might still grab a couple interviews in Dec/Jan/Feb.

I'm from illinois, does that make a difference? I applied to a few CA and NY schools, actually. I also got rejected from UIC, recently, which I assume doesn't bode well.

The trouble is that despite the stellar 2nd MCAT (for which you deserve a lot of congrats for), your GPAs aren't very competitive for MD schools. Getting rejected from your state school is NOT a good sign.

I think you'll have far more success with DO programs. If you haven't applied to those, you'd better start now, or start bright and early come June '14. CCOM in your backyard, for one, will love the MCAT score.

I'm from illinois, does that make a difference? I applied to a few CA and NY schools, actually. I also got rejected from UIC, recently, which I assume doesn't bode well.