3.28 cGPA, 3.20 sGPA - Chance at UC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nice Marmot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The ucs would be a gamble but if you score in the high 30s you'll have a good shot at a number of schools. If not since yourvproblem is your GPA smps are good for that!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

According to the data if you are an ORM with a 3.3GPA and and a 36+ on the MCAT historically 65% get accepted. Also the acceptance rate seems to plateau at 3.3GPA for anything 36 or above so as long as you score a 36 you are sitting pretty.

Can you volunteer at a non for profit organization a lot of the next month to boost your volunteer hours? If you are able to do 25 hours a week you could have 100hrs before application.

Thanks for the tips everyone. As soon as I am done with my lab position (which is full-time and then some) I will start doing some clinical and other volunteering. This will probably be August/September, so it's more in the realm of update letters.

gyngyn - I'm glad you brought that up. I am taking one last science class to boost my GPA. The problem is that the grade won't be released until late June. I'm planning on getting an A and if I submit my primary in early June that final class will not be factored into my GPA.

Is it worth getting verified early even though I won't have my MCAT till June 25th and that last "A" grade won't get factored in? :confused:

One good grade will probably not make a huge difference. Apply early and save the a for your update letters.

Nope. Your GPAs are not competetive for the UCs, not for any MD schools. You're fine for any DO programs. High GPAs do not rescue low MCATs and vice-versa for MD schools.

1) If I end up getting my practice test score (36+), do I have a chance at any of the UC's? I can't tell if I've sufficiently made up for my low-GPA or not.

No, because you're fine for any DO program. However, if you're solely commited to getting an MD, then yes, a SMP is the way to go.

2) I was recently accepted to Rosalind Franklin's University's Masters (SMP) program with near-guaranteed admission to the Chicago Medical School if I bust my balls next year. Do you think I need the SMP?

TCOM is probably the best school for research among the COMs outside of CA. NYCOM does soem good osteopathic clinical research, as does KC-COM

3) If I'm leaving California and paying $50k+, I'd like to go somewhere ranked with decent research opportunities. Any schools come to mind? It seems like most public universities with big research budgets don't like OOS students.