DO 3.28 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA, 500 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCrohns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
· Year in school: Just graduated last month with a BS in Health Sciences, Spanish minor. Taking a gap year.

· Country/state of residence: Illinois resident Schools to which you are applying: 23 DO schools (very broad and want DO), all in-state MD (SIU is my best shot)

· Cumulative GPA: 3.28 - started off freshman year very poorly, ended with about 2.4 cGPA and it rose every semester.

· Science GPA: 3.21 - was 2.54 freshman year - was very difficult to raise/balance because my major/minor requirements gave me little to no time for elective courses in chem/bio/phys.

· MCAT Scores: 500 - 123 CP, 127 CARS, 124 BB, 126 PS

· just got scores today and need to know ASAP if I need to retake/when to retake.

· Research: 3 Publications: 1 as a Co-Author in the Journal of Neurosurgery, 2 as a Co-Author in smaller neurosurgical journals (one is still under review). ~ 75 hours of work put into them total (5 hrs/week). 1 Acknowledgment as a research assistant in a published paper in Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Worked as a research assistant for a medical sociologist for a total time of about 360 (10/week) hours during the school year.

· Physician shadowing Just over 80 hours of ER, Opthalmology, General surgery, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, GI, Primary Care, Sports Medicine.

· Non-clinical volunteering 60 hours of neighborhood improvement projects in areas of low income, education, and minimal employment opportunities (in the STL area so it's not particularly safe). Another 50 hours of various service events through our fraternity such as Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and philanthropy events. 30 Hours of set-up and tabling for Relay for Life. A week-long environmental brigade in Panama through Global Brigades where I was also able to translate for our group.

· Extracurricular activities Club Soccer President/Captain for two years. (More than 750 hours over ~100 weeks), I was cut from the tryouts freshman year and worked diligently to get on the team. Active member in a fraternity with more than 300 hours over 30 weeks in an executive position, more than 800 hours over three years for total active involvement. Made dean's list all of my Senior year.

· Employment history More than 375 hours (in 31 weeks) of work as a medical secretary in a neurosurgery department, I used IDX and EPIC to schedule patient appointments and clinic visits, obtained insurance referrals, and handled patient calls daily. More than 300 hours of work (also 31 weeks) as a "Global Coordinator" for a worldwide non-profit neurosurgical society focused on the improvement of the field and education of current neurosurgical and medical professionals. I also set-up and coordinated one of our conferences in Dubai and was asked to attend in order to work on the ground since I knew the conference in and out. I was also paid as a research assistant for the medical sociologist that acknowledged me in her publication (360 hrs/30weeks).

· Immediate family members in medicine? No.

· Specialty of interest GI (I have Crohn's Disease so this is particularly special to me), Primary Care, Sports Medicine, Internal Medicine

· Interest in rural health Absolutely.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 124 in Bio, I'd reject you outright if you got an II at my school. But with a 500, it would be highly unlikely to get an II from my school, and several others.

So yes, I recommend a retake, but ONLY when you fix your deficits, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

If you have test taking anxiety, that's fixable.

With a 124 in Bio, I'd reject you outright if you got an II at my school. But with a 500, it would be highly unlikely to get an II from my school, and several others.

So yes, I recommend a retake, but ONLY when you fix your deficits, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

If you have test taking anxiety, that's fixable.
Thanks for the quick response Goro. Unfortunately, my CP and BB scores went down on the actual exam and I felt that my test had a low of low-yield material. What would your thoughts be on taking it early in 2017 and continuing to apply this cycle?

You'd probably end up interviewing for a seat on a wait list, when Adcoms start getting much more picky.

Thanks for the quick response Goro. Unfortunately, my CP and BB scores went down on the actual exam and I felt that my test had a low of low-yield material. What would your thoughts be on taking it early in 2017 and continuing to apply this cycle?