• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

3.2cgpa ORM CA

premed0516

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

I am planning on applying to med school this cycle and was hoping to get some feedback on my chances of getting into a DO school. I am 28 non tradwith a 3.2cgpa and 3.1 science gpa. I have an upward trend with a 3.65 in my last 45 units.

I am scheduled to take the MCAT 7/31 and recently Scored 505 Altius 1, 505 AAMC FL 1,
508 AAMC sample in that order.

-I have 60 hours shadowing a DO
- 400 hours as Emergency medical scribe
- 250 volunteer hours at kaiser and hospice
-worked over 6000 hours throughout college in a non medical profession.

I plan to apply broadly to 25+ DO schools

robinson annulation

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2017
somewhere
  1. Medical Student
i know some DO schools screen out applicants w/ a sGPA lower than a 3.25.
look through the DO programs & their websites to see which schools have strict cut-offs!

you clearly have clinical experience/volunteering so that's good.
however, you will definitely need non-clinical volunteering and community service experience.

premed0516

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
i know some DO schools screen out applicants w/ a sGPA lower than a 3.25.
look through the DO programs & their websites to see which schools have strict cut-offs!

you clearly have clinical experience/volunteering so that's good.
however, you will definitely need non-clinical volunteering and community service experience.

I also have around 30 hours coaching a youth soccer team over two years. If that helps, do you think with the schools that don’t have auto screen I may have a shot?

About the Ads

robinson annulation

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2017
somewhere
  1. Medical Student
I also have around 30 hours coaching a youth soccer team over two years. If that helps, do you think with the schools that don’t have auto screen I may have a shot?
i may not be the best person to give advice since i am currently applying, but from the research I've done & what I've seen on SDN, i don't think that'll be enough. DO schools (honestly, most schools in general, regardless of MD or DO) heavily emphasize non-clinical volunteering/community service—specifically working w/ medically underserved communities.

i suggest you start looking for some sort of community service. i know it'll be difficult considering the circumstances, but it's better than having to repeat a cycle due to something you could've controlled.

i'm sure someone more experienced than me can weigh in on this & offer better insight.

best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.