DO 3.2cGPA (upward trend?), No MCAT, senior taking gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyLove

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

White male
Undergrad at Missouri State University

Cell and Molecular Biology senior graduating in May. Graduated in 3.5 semesters and due to hand injuries I couldn't take the MCAT last spring. I went through courses too quickly, worked 40+ hours a week and never could figure out how to pull off As. I think I am just beginning to understand what it takes, but I did not do well my first year and been doing slightly better since. First semester 2.69gpa then from then on I've been between 3.0 and 3.5. Only hitting the deans list once at a 3.51. I have few As, but practically all Bs, except for freshmen year I got 2 C+'s. Never retaken a class but I was always between 16-19 credit hours a semester, mostly 18 and 19. I am not a honors student, and anticipate I will graduate with roughly a 3.2cGPA (sitting at 3.18 currently, but am anticipating a few As this semester), so hopefully I can finish +3.20. I am going to tell you how my GPA goes semester to semester because I would like an opinion as to how my GPA overall is going to affect my application, because I know it is low cumulative, but I am a great person with the aptitude to be a doctor but made poor decisions in college to work too much and take too many classes to get done faster, and I have the proof for that explanation as well. I want to work for MSF, always have since I was a kid. In medical school, I do not plan to work. How do most people afford living expenses without a job?

GPA goes as: 2.69, 3.05, 3.43(summer), 3.38, 3.51, 3.33 (summer), 2.82, 3.13, 3.35 (summer).
-- Really trying hard to be on the deans list this semester and be 3.5+. Lets say this did happen and I got 3.5+, how does my gpa look and how is this going to affect me? I am in all science classes this semester. Is it best to do a masters if my gpa is unrecoverable for admission or Post Bacc during my gap year and apply this cycle as planned? What MCAT score would I need to allow me to be considered for admission to DO?

I am taking the MCAT May 5th, have been studying for the previous 9 months (during semester off) and have been scoring in the range of 503 - 511 on most of my practice exams, with a 506 on my most recent AAMC). What would i need to be considered competitive?

I worked in the ER as a medical scribe for a year (before my hand injury and then I had to step down for obvious reasons). Did not receive any LOR from work because I was planning to be there for 2+ more years and was waiting till closer to cycle time for the docs to get to know me better. I have also worked full time as a in home health aid for the same company for 3 years and have received two good letters of recommendation from high up people from this job.

I have abroad teaching experience in healthcare, hygiene and english for a month in Indonesia, and in August (I think, unless you guys talk me into Post Bacc) I will be in Burma working in a medical clinic getting actual hands-on experience. I have a LOR from teaching abroad in Indonesia.

Shadowing - I have shadowed doctors in Indonesia, Belize, (hopefully Burma if I decide its a good choice), PAs in Texas, MDs and DOs both here in my hometown. All to be 120+ hours. I am still working on expanding specialties that I have shadowed since I have not seen too many.

Volunteering - 250+ hours total (100 abroad, 150 local), local ER, homeless shelters, nursing homes, food clinics, low-income dental and medical clinics, Boys & Girls Club, teaching healthy lifestyles to elementary, teaching english abroad (above), (Burma, hopefully).

My last huge dilemma, is I have not accumulated any LOR from faculty at my university... And honestly dont know if I can or how to do that before application time. I just dont get to know my professors very well. I currently have a LOR from a PA, volunteering english teaching abroad, and a LOR from my in home health aid for 3 years. Advice?

REALISTICALLY, what are my chances for admission to DO this cycle? I am a Missouri resident. Is it even worth applying or should I do Masters/postbacc and apply in a year or 2? I am only 21YO. Please honest opinions are much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it was long, but I have always wanted to be a doctor and work for Doctors without Borders, and I want my dream still. I feel like I ****ed it up sometimes. Someone please give me advice!!?

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT score is at least 500 you should be able to receive DO interviews at some of the newer schools. Post your score here when available.