DO 3.3 / 3.3 / 34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thumpthump

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I was wondering if I could get some help on a school list. Here are my stats:

gpa is 3.3/3.3 (probably a little higher after grade replacement)
MCAT is 34 (ps:10, v:9, bs 15)
I have no research
Clinical volunteering is about 40 hours and is ongoing
Shadowing is about 50 hours family practice

About me:
I spent a lot of time in undergrad because I didn't know what I wanted to be. I had a bad gpa year my third year, but that was 12 years ago. After my B.S., I did a medical laboratory science certificate program (64 hours 3.5 gpa). After this I worked as a medical laboratory scientist for 3.5 years and then as a medical lab supervisor for 1.5 years. While doing this, I took a few classes (about 15 hours with a 4.0). This past year I quit my job and did an informal post bac. Overall, I have taken 44 hours since my med tech cert with a 3.952 gpa.

I expect to submit to aacomas within the next two weeks, and I did not apply M.D.. Also, I am an Ohio resident. If anyone has any school recommendations or general advice, I am all ears.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Start with your state DO school and also add schools that prefer higher mcat, then add some mid/lower tier schools that are close to your state for safety.

OUHCOM
CCOM
AZCOM
TOURO NY
KCUMB
ATSU-KCOM
DMU
MUCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM

I expect to submit to aacomas within the next two weeks, and I did not apply M.D.. Also, I am an Ohio resident. If anyone has any school recommendations or general advice, I am all ears.
Did you not apply MD b/c you like DO better or b/c you don't think you're competitive?

If it's the latter I strongly suggest you hit up a broad list, as a 34 is solid, especially w/ that spectacular bio section.

As a non-trad especially, GPAs will carry less weight (your upward trend is great too).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all of the help so far.

Did you not apply MD b/c you like DO better or b/c you don't think you're competitive?

If it's the latter I strongly suggest you hit up a broad list, as a 34 is solid, especially w/ that spectacular bio section.

As a non-trad especially, GPAs will carry less weight (your upward trend is great too).

First, I really like the D.O. philosophy and all of the D.O.s I have met, most of which have attended my state school. Second, I was under the impression that D.O. schools in general are more likely to accept non-traditional students. And third, I wasn't sure if my bio section would be seen as a positive or a negative; it seems like a lot of emphasis is put on a balanced score.

Thanks for all of the help so far.

First, I really like the D.O. philosophy and all of the D.O.s I have met, most of which have attended my state school. Second, I was under the impression that D.O. schools in general are more likely to accept non-traditional students. And third, I wasn't sure if my bio section would be seen as a positive or a negative; it seems like a lot of emphasis is put on a balanced score.

Balance is always valued, but I think lack of balance is considered more of a red flag when one or two numbers are very low (i.e. < 7). So a (10,9,15) says that you are passable in two sections and outstanding in one, but a (15,4,15) while still being an extremely interesting application, would likely get screened out.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad you like the DO philosophy.

For MD, know that you definitely have a shot. Though your MCAT is unbalanced, no section is too low, which means the high bio is definitely a big plus. Balanced scores are overrated when you can ace an entire section!

There are many very excellent MD schools that love non-trads such as yourself, and at which your stats are most certainly competitive. A 3.9+ post-bacc is impressive. Off the top of my head, I can recall Geisel-Dartmouth, CWRU, Albany, Pitt, Northwestern, and Rush. @Goro usually has the exhaustive list.

If by chance you went to a Top 15ish school back in the day your GPA is further "boosted."

Thank you all for the help and positive comments, it's a nice change from most of the terrifying things I read on here.

Just saw your comment about the top 15 school and no, that wasn't the problem; I made some very immature choices my third year.

I am hoping my subsequent work reflects the different person I am today.

I have been trying to search for D.O. schools that like higher MCAT scores, but I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list. I also remember seeing a list of average stats for D.O. schools a few days ago but I can't seem to find it now.
Does anyone happen to know what schools like high MCAT scores or have a link to the average D.O. stat list I am talking about? I tried the search function but failed miserably.

Actually it's not, but it looks much better than the list I was looking for.

Thank you very much.