3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA...feeling downtrodden. What should I do? Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emc0122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been battling this for a while and would appreciate any help or feedback. I just graduated UCLA with a BS in Neurosci but did not do exceptionally well. undergrad GPA is 3.34 with sGPA as 3.0. I've heard tons of success stories where people would get in due to strong upward trend and high MCAT score. I have yet to take the MCAT but my GPA has been pretty flat-lined, no upward or downward trend really.

I've only stuck to a couple of ECs throughout undergrad, one is a public health oriented student org which I was able to become president of. The other is a clinical research group where I perform statistical abstraction, shadow my P.I, and consent pt's in the hospital. I got into some wetlab research for a brief period of time and determined then that it wasn't for me. Also did some volunteer work in hospitals around the community.

I'm about a month into my new position as a clinical research coordinator (working with the same P.I) and believe I will be doing this for about another year or two.

I'm debating whether or not I should take a post-bacc to raise my GPA. A huge part of my undergrad GPA slump is due to my pre-req sGPA. I also felt like I did not make a great presence in the academic community during undergrad so I am not feeling confident about receiving strong letters of rec. However, my PI advises against it because he thinks it may be financially inefficient and that having a high MCAT score should be enough. He also argues that most post-baccs may not be as effective as I would hope for it to be - in terms of raising my undergrad GPA and strengthening my application. Attending post-bacc would also mean another year or two in addition to the time I'm committing to my current CRC position (personally, I don't mind this time commitment, but I guess it is something to consider). What do you think I should do?

Any help would really be greatly appreciated. After working with my PI and gaining more exposure to clinical research and hospital work I am more than determined to pursue this path. It's just that every once in a while I can't shake off the feeling that I really did botch my undergraduate career and wonder if it is still possible for me to go to medical school (especially considering the rising stats of the average applicant)

Thank you very much for your time and help -- any and all.

Members don't see this ad.

If DO -> Retake any C's, 505+ MCAT, apply this year.
If MD -> Apply SMP/Academic Enhancer/PB, 510+ MCAT, apply in 1-2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If DO -> Retake any C's, 505+ MCAT, apply this year.
If MD -> Apply SMP/Academic Enhancer/PB, 510+ MCAT, apply in 1-2 years.
What's the difference between SMP and post-bacc in this scenario?

What's the difference between SMP and post-bacc in this scenario?

Post-bacc's boost your numerical GPA while SMPs do not. A PB makes sense when you can still salvage your GPA and improve it to a competitive level. An SMP is more for those who's GPA is stuck at a low level and wont budge much but still are aiming for MD schools. A 3.0 sGPA is low enough I would tell you an SMP is likely the better move here, although it also depends on how many credits you have. Calculate how many credits it would take to get your sGPA into the 3.4-3.5 range and see if it is feasibly possible.

First thing you need is an MCAT score though. The MD route only makes sense if you have an MD caliber MCAT score. If you cant get that, save yourself a ton of time, money, stress and risk and just retake a couple C's and go the DO route. You dont need an SMP for the DO route; just retaking classes and a couple new A's does the trick fine. Hit 511+ and then the SMP discussion becomes a worthwhile one.

Reactions: 1 user