• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

3.3 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 35 MCAT

NJPreMD

Oct 28, 2009
  1. Pre-Medical
    I posted once before, but I hadn't accurately calculated everything.

What are my chances of getting into ANY allopathic medical school with a 3.3 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and a 35 MCAT?

Top 10 college, Biology major, Chemistry minor
    President of a club
    Captain of a team, helped lead team to first ever Eastern championship
    Volunteering, tutoring, fundraising
    Physician shadowing in hem/onc, pediatric hem/onc, anesthesiology, and transplant nephrology
    2 Summers research Cancer Institute of New Jersey
    1 Summer research UMDNJ, Dept. of anesthesiology
    Summer Clinical Internship Program, UMDNJ
    Research in physical organic chemistry related to cancer, UMDNJ
    Several minor publications

Thanks in advance for any replies

NJPreMD

Oct 28, 2009
    1. Pre-Medical
      > 500 Shadowing
      > 250 Volunteering, Tutoring, Fundraising

I'm still actively shadowing and doing research as I prepare my applications. Are there any weak areas, other than my low cGPA that I can work on to improve my chances?

About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      The Other Side of the Portal
      1. Attending Physician
        What was your clinical experience where you gained experience interacting with patients? It looks like you have one summer of a clinical internship. Does that mean face-to-face interactions with patients? You have a ton of shadowing, but this may not be looked at as active experience with sick people. During the shadowing, did you do anything to help out, or did you sit in the corner and watch? Was any of your research clinical in nature, ie talked directly with patients? Was any of the vaguely mentioned "volunteering" clinical?

You have research, pubs, leadership, teamwork, sports, community service (unspecified hours), and teaching. I'm concerned that you may be weak in clinical experience. If you're lucky, your heavy sport involvement may forgive you some of this.

If you're a NJ resident, their allopathic schools have median stats for acceptees of 3.7/32 and for matriculants 3.63/30.6, so your stats give you a decent chance of getting in there, provided you meet their expectations for ECs, LORs, PS, and interview skills.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
        Lifetime Donor
        15+ Year Member
      • Aug 1, 2005
        working on my tan......
        1. Attending Physician
          What was your clinical experience where you gained experience interacting with patients? It looks like you have one summer of a clinical internship. Does that mean face-to-face interactions with patients? You have a ton of shadowing, but this may not be looked at as active experience with sick people. During the shadowing, did you do anything to help out, or did you sit in the corner and watch? Was any of your research clinical in nature, ie talked directly with patients? Was any of the vaguely mentioned "volunteering" clinical?

yeah, explain this more......it sounds weak from what I have read.

BennieBlanco

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          10+ Year Member
          Aug 24, 2008

med school admissions are pretty funny.

GPA, MCAT, volunteering, shadowing, research, EC, LORs...

Oh yeah, and your app sucks if you don't have a ton of patient interaction.

?? Being a doctor is challenging, but I think all this juggling of random junk is harder than being a doctor.

The whole application process is just the "best guess" on who would be a good doctor, but I'm not quite sure if all the factors that make an excellent physician are those that are screened for.

BennieBlanco

Membership Revoked
            Removed
            10+ Year Member
            Aug 24, 2008
              I think this focus on doing a dozen things leads to mediocrity instead of excellence.

It is silly to say a person with hundreds of hours of volunteering/shadowing is missing patient interaction.

As if it is some testament that you are better if you've spent time with patients.

Can someone explain how a person who has spent 1,000 hrs with sick patients is somehow better with patients than a person who has spent time volunteering/shadowing?

Last time I checked, there are a lot of nurses of 20 years who are jerks and there are some nurses of 1 month who are amazing with patients.

HMMMMM... I thought more time = better? Why does this not play out in the real world?:idea::idea::idea::idea:

anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
              Jun 19, 2005
                dude, you will more than likely get in somewhere if u apply early/broad/many schools. I assume ur clinical exp was adequate number of hours since u dont specify.

1) top 10 college is pretty crazy. They're gpa for acceptance can be A LOT lower. This is from solid data from one particular school. Schools foruntately or unfortunately care about it.
                2) minor publications are still great for undergrads
                3) your MCAT is awesome. Schools will forgive your gpa easily (MCAT+points 1 and 2)

Making my previous assumptions:
                >80% acceptance somewhere
                ~30% acceptance to a top 25 school (presuming you tout research as this awesome thing and the minor pubs are in decent journals)

NJPreMD

Oct 28, 2009
                1. Pre-Medical
                  Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. A lot of my clinical exposure has involved significant patient interaction.

My hope is to communicate effectively with the admission boards how passionate I am about medicine (specifically cancer), and center my application around this. The majority of my (unpublished) research has been in cancer (cell surface protein expression at CINJ, and currently the kinetics of base excision repair in a physical organic chemistry lab). My dad was a cancer survivor, and it's something that's been very important to me and my family. I've been a cyclist for more than 10 years (partially as a result of it's involvement in the cancer community), participated in a number of fundraisers for cancer, and was the captain of the team at my college, while competing at the national level. Unfortunately, being captain of the team and training full time ate into a lot of my time for studying and my gpa suffered.

My publications are in a first rate nephrology journal, and my clinical publications were presented at the national anesthesiology conference.

Thanks for the advice. If I apply early and broadly my hope is that I'll get in somewhere. Currently my cgpa/sgpa is roughly 3.35/3.50, so I'm registering for a semester or two of upper-level science classes at the local state university, hopefully I can bring my cgpa/sgpa up to the 3.4/3.6 range which I think will help a lot.

Do you think it is worth applying to SMP programs as well?

JJMrK

J to the J
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  10+ Year Member
                  Apr 27, 2007
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Your application looks pretty excellent. The only weakness I see is your low GPA, but I think the rest of your application makes up for it. Apply broadly to many schools and I think you'll see some success.

anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
                    Jun 19, 2005
                      Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. A lot of my clinical exposure has involved significant patient interaction.

My hope is to communicate effectively with the admission boards how passionate I am about medicine (specifically cancer), and center my application around this. The majority of my (unpublished) research has been in cancer (cell surface protein expression at CINJ, and currently the kinetics of base excision repair in a physical organic chemistry lab). My dad was a cancer survivor, and it's something that's been very important to me and my family. I've been a cyclist for more than 10 years (partially as a result of it's involvement in the cancer community), participated in a number of fundraisers for cancer, and was the captain of the team at my college, while competing at the national level. Unfortunately, being captain of the team and training full time ate into a lot of my time for studying and my gpa suffered.

My publications are in a first rate nephrology journal, and my clinical publications were presented at the national anesthesiology conference.

Thanks for the advice. If I apply early and broadly my hope is that I'll get in somewhere. Currently my cgpa/sgpa is roughly 3.35/3.50, so I'm registering for a semester or two of upper-level science classes at the local state university, hopefully I can bring my cgpa/sgpa up to the 3.4/3.6 range which I think will help a lot.

Do you think it is worth applying to SMP programs as well?

I wouldn't apply only to SMP programs. I think w/ a 35 mcat ur gpa can be forgiven at the top programs. What i would suggest though is trying to get extra research. I think full time research w/ publications is probably boost ur app more than gpa (this may sound somewhat strange but it really isnt, PM me if u have questions).

Also, are those publications first authored by u? second authored? or just middle author? Thats a big deal too.

THe posters, were they First authored by u, presented physically by u? Each of these things can be something to input in ur amcas app.

NJPreMD

Oct 28, 2009
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        I believe on the paper I'm second author, on the posters I may have either been second or third author, though I was involved in their presentation along with the anesthesiology fellow. Also, they were clinical studies, which afforded me some more hands on time with patients gathering/analyzing data.

I'm currently doing research in a physical organic chemistry lab, though I doubt that the lab's data would be publishable before I applied this summer.

I'm planning on applying to a few SMP programs (Temple, Georgetown, Tulane) as well as my state schools, UMDNJ-RWJ/Newark, and some less competitive medical schools (Temple, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, Rush, GWU, Jefferson, Albany, U of South Carolina, U of Missouri KC, Commonwealth, etc).

I had thought that bringing my cgpa/sgpa up to a 3.4/3.6 would really help a lot to get over some of those lower thresholds.

anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
                        Jun 19, 2005
                          I believe on the paper I'm second author, on the posters I may have either been second or third author, though I was involved in their presentation along with the anesthesiology fellow. Also, they were clinical studies, which afforded me some more hands on time with patients gathering/analyzing data.

I'm currently doing research in a physical organic chemistry lab, though I doubt that the lab's data would be publishable before I applied this summer.

I'm planning on applying to a few SMP programs (Temple, Georgetown, Tulane) as well as my state schools, UMDNJ-RWJ/Newark, and some less competitive medical schools (Temple, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, Rush, GWU, Jefferson, Albany, U of South Carolina, U of Missouri KC, Commonwealth, etc).

I had thought that bringing my cgpa/sgpa up to a 3.4/3.6 would really help a lot to get over some of those lower thresholds.

Second author on a paper, middle author on poster, co presenter at a symposium, top 10 undergrad, capt of a team, 35 mcat.... have u thought of md phd?

If uninterested, i really think u should apply to a good number of top tier (maybe not like harvard, but vandy/case/etc) programs too. PM me if u want more info/if i dont update on this topic.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.