3.3 cgpa, places to apply? open to MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vballdoc8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im entering my junior year of undergrad with a 3.3 cGpa and about a 3.3 sgpa. Working on improving my grades, had some health/family issues my first two years of school. Double Biology and Chemistry major with a minor in Hispanic Studies. Currently a research assistant in the dept of biology, soon to get my own project out of the research. Hoping to get a chemistry research position between my junior and senior year. President of the chemistry club (american chemical society chapter) at my university. Active member in autism society, volunteer with special olympics for 8 years as well as in a special needs classroom for 2 years. I have not taken MCAT yet, predicted to get about 30-33 (based on a calculation from advisor, don't ask for it i don't have it...based on MCAT practice questions, personal statement, mock interview, SATs, course specific grades, course rigor...). I will have great LOR's. I have participated actively in club and intramural sports, I am a runner, very passionate about people and their wellbeing. Hoping to get a nonprofit garden up and running to provide veggies to those who can other wise not afford them. If I don't get accepted to med school right away I will pursue an MPH in epidemiology and reapply. My dream school is Georgetown. I love their med schools mission statement and how they focus on the well being of the whole person. I love the DC area as well. I know my numbers are low, but what are my chances? Also anyone have any other school recommendations? Thanks! :) :)

EDIT: I'm from NC at a school in the UNC system. I have shadowing experience with an ortho surgeon. And I have held a part time job at a restaurant for about a year now (used to babysit to make money).

Members don't see this ad.

Put in a strong effort these next two years(3.7+). Graduate with over a 3.5 get in that 30-33 MCAT range and you can talk MD.

Your GPA is currently sufficient for DO's with a solid MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
Put in a strong effort these next two years(3.7+). Graduate with over a 3.5 get in that 30-33 MCAT range and you can talk MD.

Your GPA is currently sufficient for DO's with a solid MCAT score.

Thank you! Any specific school suggestions, maybe tips to boost application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Any specific school suggestions, maybe tips to boost application?

Without the GPA and necessary MCAT there is no med school application that stands a chance. Focus on those two at all costs

Forget the MPH and do a SMP, if you're boning for the MD degree. You'll need to ace though (3.6+).

Can you elaborate? Why ignore the MPH and go for SMP (pardon my ignorance, what is this?) what if MPH is something im passionate about?

Can you elaborate? Why ignore the MPH and go for SMP (pardon my ignorance, what is this?) what if MPH is something im passionate about?
An MPH does nothing to improve your MD candidacy.
If you would be happy using the MPH as a stepping stone to a public health job, it is fine.

Reactions: 2 users
An MPH does nothing to improve your MD candidacy.
If you would be happy using the MPH as a stepping stone to a public health job, it is fine.

Why doesn't the MPH have any affect? What is SMP?

I should note that if you do well these two years(3.7+) you'll graduate with over a 3.5 and have an upward trend and there's no need for any GPA repair then. That should be your primary focus. Keep in mind 3.7 is the average MD matriculant GPA so it's not exactly like this is asking for some unrealistic commitment from you if you want to attend an MD school.

I should note that if you do well these two years(3.7+) you'll graduate with over a 3.5 and have an upward trend and there's no need for any GPA repair then. That should be your primary focus. Keep in mind 3.7 is the average MD matriculant GPA so it's not exactly like this is asking for some unrealistic commitment from you if you want to attend an MD school.

Thank you! My advisor has pretty much said the same thing :)