3.3 GPA; 4.0 last two years; 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christopher Liang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I messed up really badly my first three years of college but had a 4.0 the last 2 years. During the last two years (took an extra year for undergrad), I took almost all my pre-med courses (orgo, general bio, physics) as well as cell bio 1&2 and biochem courses. I also took the MCAT and scored in the 96th percentile. I wrote this thread because I was wondering what my chances are of getting into medical school with such a terrible start, and low GPA. Has anyone heard of or know of people with these low stats getting into MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I messed up really badly my first three years of college but had a 4.0 the last 2 years. During the last two years (took an extra year for undergrad), I took almost all my pre-med courses (orgo, general bio, physics) as well as cell bio 1&2 and biochem courses. I also took the MCAT and scored in the 96th percentile. I wrote this thread because I was wondering what my chances are of getting into medical school with such a terrible start, and low GPA. Has anyone heard of or know of people with these low stats getting into MD schools?

Yeah, my stats were very similar (mine were slightly lower) and I got into almost all my DO schools + 1 MD school this cycle. Worth mentioning though that this is my third application cycle and I did do an SMP.

I took almost all my pre-med courses (orgo, general bio, physics) as well as cell bio 1&2 and biochem courses. I also took the MCAT and scored in the 96th percentile.

Well, since it looks like you took a bunch of BCPM classes in the last 2 years, what is your science GPA?

What classes did you take the first couple of years where you got modest grades?

What schools are on your app list? What is your home state?

I think that with a well-thought out app list, you'll do fine.

Hey we have very similar stats. I applied for the first time this past cycle to 20 schools and had two MD acceptances. It happens! I think having the high MCAT and the upward trend will help out. Thankfully someone forgave me for being 19