3.3 GPA mcat 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Yiot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NJ resident
sGPA 3.31
cGPA 3.32
Highest MCAT PS 9 VR 7 BS 9 = 25 O
Best of all Sections taken PS 9 VR 8 BS 9 = 26

Technically I am ESL but you would never know by talking to me.
I took esl classes up until HS. But I never put it on my app or even mentioned. I don’t even remember there being a section asking if you are ESL. Not that it means anything IMO. Whether you’re ESL or not I think they are going to want good stats so I never bothered to mention it. Plus like I said I have no noticeable accent at all and speak perfectly good English, however it does effect my reading comprehension.

Reapplicant
This past application season I was complete in August/September with these stats
sGPA 2.94
cGPA 3.01
MCAT PS 6 VR 8 BS 9 = 23 O

I know my verbal dropped by 1 point but my PS went up 3.

I have had a pretty steep upward trend; starting in 2008 I had a sgpa of a 1.8 and a cgpa of a 2.0. My senior year I stepped it up and have since been taking post bacc classes part time. These included retaking a lot of classes I did bad in and taking more upper level bio’s to show I can do it. However, it has been part time so 8 credits per semester the last 2 years. My post bacc gpa is a 4.0 and my senior year I took a total of 36 credits at a 3.6. They were mostly science classes with 1 or 2 exceptions. (this was in 2009)

This past year I was rejected mostly everywhere, however I did receive an interview which landed me on the waitlist. I am hoping that with my improved gpa I can land an acceptance somewhere if I reapply broadly.

My Extra Curricula’s include:
Worked at a DO’s Solo FP office. Did that for about 4 months. At 30 hours per week but stopped because I took more classes during school and needed to study for MCAT. Probably my most educational experience and got me a great DO LOR. Learned a TON. FWIW making referrals SUCK and people on HMO”s ask for so many.

Volunteered in the ED of a community hospital for 200 hours
Shadowed allopathic neurosurgeon for 18 hours(another LOR)
Shadowed pediatric cardiologist for 8 hours (allopathic)
Shadowed different DO FP for 6 hours
Volunteered in a nursing home and created a club for the men to do certain activities (the gentlemen’s club lol we gambled and watched a lot of baseball, they were all mets fans though. It sucked)
Made deans list a few semesters
Received a firefighters scholarship for college (cause I volunteered in HS)

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Rejected
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Screened for sgpa
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine – Carolinas Campus, SC
Put on hold for next semester grades then rejected
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA
crickets
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
rejected
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
crickets
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Interview--waitlist
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of NYIT, NY
Never sent in secondary, whats the point
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
rejected
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
crickets
Pikeville College, School of Osteopathic Medicine, KY
crickets
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ
rejected
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
rejected
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV
crickets
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS
Never received 2ndary, gonna say rejection

The bolded are what I did this past year while I was applying. I continued to improve my GPA and did better on the mcat (although still disappointing. I was averaging bw a 27 and 28). I also landed myself a great opportunity to work for a doctor. So those are the new things that will be on my app come may fifth. This summer I have decided to get my EMT-B certification and become a working paramedic. After this semester I am taking a 5 week summer course and might take another upper level bio such as ANP over the summer. I have called ALL of the schools who have outright rejected me and asked what it was that I needed to work on. The ones who got back to me all said gpa and no one said one iota about my mcat. Not that its great but I got the feeling they wanted me to work on my gpa for the moment and once I got that up to the average, would then likely want me to retake my mcat. So for now I am going to continue to concentrate on the gpa and if that doesn’t get me in I will retake.

These are the schools I am thinking of applying to this upcoming season
PCOM Ga
PCOM
UMDNJ SOM
OUCOM ( I know they are is friendly and would gladly sign the contract)
RVU COM
LMUDCOM
DMUCOM
NSUCOM
LECOM
LECOM Bradenton
TOURO NV
If I can ACOM if not CCOM
WVSOM
VCOM Sc (love this school family nearby)
PCSOM
UNECOM
ATSU KCOM
ATSU MESA
KCUMB
AZCOM

Really wish I could apply to TCOM and OSUCOM but with my below average stats and OOS status, don’t think I am going to waste my money.

So after this novel what do you guys think? DO you think I will even have a shot with admissions getting uber competitive? I am going to continue taking classes this upcoming fall semester except that I am going to go back FULL TIME. I am hoping to get my GPA up into the 3.4-3.5 range. Thanks for everyone’s feedback, sorry its so long. Please no hating on me here.

Members don't see this ad.

Even if they didn't ask about ESL, they might consider it since your place of birth is listed. It might be worth mentioning somewhere in the application, or asking an LOR writer to squeeze it into their letter.

With all the calling around you did, were any comments made about schools going by a composite MCAT score? It might be nice to add that to the thread on the topic if you have a list of schools doing it (since I don't recall that DO schools were included). If so, I'll dig the thread up and give you a link.

I think that a VS of 7 is decent, but maybe some of the more selective schools prefer to see a higher score, in which case a composite score would serve you well.

Even if they didn't ask about ESL, they might consider it since your place of birth is listed. It might be worth mentioning somewhere in the application, or asking an LOR writer to squeeze it into their letter.

With all the calling around you did, were any comments made about schools going by a composite MCAT score? It might be nice to add that to the thread on the topic if you have a list of schools doing it (since I don't recall that DO schools were included). If so, I'll dig the thread up and give you a link.

I think that a VS of 7 is decent, but maybe some of the more selective schools prefer to see a higher score, in which case a composite score would serve you well.
to the bolded above, none really did and ofcourse I didnt ask. the only thread I know of regarding this matter is this one
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=642909&highlight=MCAT
So from this thread, NYCOM, PNWU and OUCOM all do composite MCATs and possibly even PCOM. I might do some HW and call around to ask schools if they do. I did bump that thread a while back because I was looking for the answer to that very question. That was after I created my own thread and no one really knew. I know OUCOM def. does and am applying there. As for PNWU its kind of far from NJ but if they take the composite I will def. send my application out there.

If the thread your thinking of is different, and if you dont mind maybe you could pull that up? thanks for your help. Whenever I look into this sub-forumn either you or mobious is on here helping applicants.
Maybe I will incorperate that I am ESL in my personal statement when I reapply. Its too late to notify the school I am waitslisted at that I am an ESL applicant. Comes off a little desperate IMO. lol

thanks again for taking your time to reply

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM does use composite. That's what they told me at my interview.

I'd definitely list the ESL thing somewhere in the app.

but you ARE desperate... anything to get off the WL i'd say.

but you ARE desperate... anything to get off the WL i'd say.

Hmmm, both interesting viewpoints. I was actually out to dinner with my colleagues from work and my boss who's the administrator of the nursing home said she would write me a lor. Maybe I can have her encorperate in the letter that I am esl and bieng from another country allows me too be culturally competent blah blah blah. Ill send it to the one school I'm waitlisted at and if anything I can use it next year too. She does write awsome lor's I know this for a fact. What do u guys think? Maybe she could even say that since I'm bilingual it allows me too communicate with certain residents who don't speak english (I have had to do this at work before). But I still feel its desperate but maybe less so if its included in an lor

I think that a letter including the ESL along with a reason why your bilingualism is a benefit would be ideal.

Thanks. You guys still never told me if I had a shot this year? Lol. I think buy next xmas I will have my gpa up easily around a 3.5. Bbut with the 3.3 and 2t or for schools who take composites, 26 what do u think if I apply from day one?

if you apply from day 1 and EVERYTHING is in order, you have a great PS, communicate your EC's well, etc, you should get a handful of interviews with your stats. assuming, you get your secondaries in within a day or two of receiving them.

You guys still never told me if I had a shot this year? Lol.
I don't recall that you asked about this season. With a cGPA of 3.01/23, I'd say for this season (2010) your chances are poor. Applying with a 3.3/25-26, and steep upward grade trend next season (2011), you have a chance at some schools. This will get better if you update your fall grades (all As, naturally:))through AACOMAS when they arrive. Chances in a year, summer 2012, with your projected GPA, would be good.

I don't recall that you asked about this season. With a cGPA of 3.01/23, I'd say for this season (2010) your chances are poor. Applying with a 3.3/25-26, and steep upward grade trend next season (2011), you have a chance at some schools. This will get better if you update your fall grades (all As, naturally:))through AACOMAS when they arrive. Chances in a year, summer 2012, with your projected GPA, would be good.
sorry it took me so long to post. thank you for your reply and advice. my question with this is where to take classes for the fall semester of 2011. I can take classes at my CC and have a full 12-15 credit semester of upper level science classes and a few retakes (probably just 1 with the rest bieng A&P and kinesiology etc).

OR I can do a formal post bacc program such as LECOM's or DCOM's where there is a gaurenteed interview with above a 3.0 etc.

My gpa is a 3.3 (will be higher hopefully) but this past year I only went to school part time and all the classes I took where retakes. My senior year I took full time courses, many where upper level bio's where I performed very well, so in my oppinion I showed that I could succeed in the harder classes with a heavy courseload. However, this was 2 years ago and this past year was all retakes, which is why I am considering doing a formal post bacc.

What do you guys think? do another formal semester at my CC while applying

or apply while doing a formal post bacc with gaurentees?

im confused but it sounds like I have many options. I just dont know which direction to head in.

what through me for a loop was i spoke with VCOM admissions and they said they would like to see another semester at full time status of me performing well. They said either at the undergraduate level or in a formal post bacc program such as their own. They stated that it had to be at least 12 credit hours and they wanted to see me perform well.

This was their suggestions, which got me thinking of the post bac programs.

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference in cost? Can you afford it?

A guaranteed interview doesn't guarantee an acceptance.

Would they want you to retake the MCAT?

For any program it would be MUCH cheaper to take the classes at the cc. The program would be pricier. As with me affording it, therwe would have to be a significant amount of financial aide needed to be taken out. Possibly col loans. And they would not require me to retake the mcat. Thanx for ur post I thought the thread would die for a while lol.

For programs like this I would have to live away from my wife for the duration untiln I got accepted to med school, no seanse in moving my family twice.

With your 36 credits of 3.6 your senior year, and 32 hours of 4.0 in your postbac, I don't think you have much more to prove than that you can perform as creditably carrying a full-time courseload after two years out of college.

JMO, but I think you should do fine taking a full-time courseload at a local school (4-year would be better than CC, but do what you have to do) while applying simultaneously, sending in fall grades so your file will be reconsidered in midcycle if you haven't had enough bites.

For any program it would be MUCH cheaper to take the classes at the cc. The program would be pricier. As with me affording it, therwe would have to be a significant amount of financial aide needed to be taken out. Possibly col loans. And they would not require me to retake the mcat. Thanx for ur post I thought the thread would die for a while lol.

For programs like this I would have to live away from my wife for the duration untiln I got accepted to med school, no seanse in moving my family twice.
Yiot, I thought you were currently enrolled in UMDNJ's post bac?

With your 36 credits of 3.6 your senior year, and 32 hours of 4.0 in your postbac, I don't think you have much more to prove than that you can perform as creditably carrying a full-time courseload after two years out of college.

JMO, but I think you should do fine taking a full-time courseload at a local school (4-year would be better than CC, but do what you have to do) while applying simultaneously, sending in fall grades so your file will be reconsidered in midcycle if you haven't had enough bites.
OK cool. Thanks for your response. Its good to know. Another reason other than price I am taking it at the CC is because I called the 4 year I graduated from and was kind of discouraged. The classes fill up FAST at my old 4 year. Its a small liberal arts school so we dont have a TON of faculty so we dont have that many courses available to use to register for. This makes them fill very quickly. When I inquired, they said that since I graduated in 2009 I would have to REapply to the school, meaning I would not be able to register for classes UNTIL freshman can. This would lead me to bieng at the very bottom of the list having my pick of courses. Normally I would say I could get professor to override the limit to students per class but the last year I was their (2009) they began enforcing a STRICT policy that didnt allow professor to go over the limit of seats assigned to a class. Normally if the class was full but I REALLy wanted in I could go in and get the professors permission to let me take the class, not any more. I also inquired about taking classes non-matriculated, but then I would be forced to register even later. So, theres another reason I was kind of "forced" to take classes at the CC. I would have a very difficult time registering for classes.

It looks like I will be taking another 12-15 credit courseload at the CC. Thanks so much catalystik. They should give you some SDN award or something. Maybe a free hat in the mail?

Ok guys I'm back for some more advice. I am ready to reapply. I can only afford to apply to six schools so I have to choose very carefully and very wisely. I wanted to see what you guys think. Also I can't submit june first, I can only submit on june second if that's ok? I getpaid and its deposited into my account at 1 am on the second. I can submit at two am in the mourning on the second. So ill stay up late june first have everything ready and submit lol. I wanna get my app in super early.

For my school selection I love rural areas so these are the ones I'm thinking of.

Lmu dcom
Wvsom
Kcumb
Lecom
Vcom sc
Dmu com
I would love to apply to oucom but they have a state bias. Reason is because they take composite. I would love to apply to umd but I would be waisting my money imo. There competetive even though I'm a nj resident. I'm also thinking of substituting dmu with another school cause there very competetive, but I love that school. Even though I hate the climate its in. So what do u guys think? Help me out here!

Pikeville?
I applied to them this past year. heard nothing. From what I hear they have a regional bias so thats why im hesitant to apply to them again. Also they have a very small class size. something like 88 students. they recieve a little over two thousand applications. When I did # of students in the class divided buy # of applicants you have like a 3.3 percent chance of acceptance. I know I know thats not acceptance thats just matriculants but your chances are still small lol. You still think I should apply? I would like to go there but bieng a NJ resident with slightly average stats. I don't know?

I was also thinking either PCOM or NYCOM as they take the best section of each score. My letter writer is a DO who graduated nycom and I think I would have succes applying there as I grew up in the exact town that the school is in. BUT I think I would kill myself if I had to live in NYC for years three and four Unless I could rotate in the catskills or something.

Also PCOM yeah they have the RUDEST friggin admissions people in the world. Just every time I have called, so unpolite and straight up jerks. So I will not be reapplying there.

I have also thought of applying to NOVA cause My brother lives in west palm beach and it would be great to spend four years living close to him and getting to see my godchildren all the time. However, they are also, uber competetive and rejected me in two seconds last year. even suggested in their rejection notice i should think of other careers. It was generic and other applicants who were rejected got it too. lol it just left a bad taste in my mouth

Didn't you apply to LECOM last season?

Have you looked through the Osteopathic Forum to see if there are hints of possibility for rotating in rural areas through NYCOM and how easy it might be to acquire, if so?

Are you unwilling to sign the OUCOM 5-year in-state practice promise ?

I agree, Pikeville doesn't sound promising.

Didn't you apply to LECOM last season?

Have you looked through the Osteopathic Forum to see if there are hints of possibility for rotating in rural areas through NYCOM and how easy it might be to acquire, if so?

Are you unwilling to sign the OUCOM 5-year in-state practice promise ?

I agree, Pikeville doesn't sound promising.

Yes I did apply to lecom, but I'm somewhat near their average so I figuered why not?
I am willing to sign the five year contract, yes,
I was thinking about researching more about if u could rotate around rural areas through nycom. I will have to look more into that. I will have to look more into that for sure. Thanks for the post again catalystick. Uve been a great help man.

Do u think oucom repels oss applicants with their five year contract? But if your willing to sign it do u think ull get good consideration? I just know their a state school so I'm a bit confused. I'm more than willing to sign it, just don't wanna waste my money if they aren't gonna consider me since I'm from nj. What u think catalystic?

I think that the 5-year contract cuts down the OOS competition. I don't have any insight into whether they have a regional bias since my only mentee who goes there is from in state. Why not cruise through the PreMed Osteo School Specific Forum and see what info you can pick up there. For example:
Most of this info. is coming from OUCOM's FAQ page:

-OUCOM is a state-supported school, so they do give preference to Ohio residents in the application process.

These demographics are from the entering class of 2006 but the class size has not changed much? So about 12-18 OOS are accepted per year.
For the entering class of 2006:
Class size – 120
Female – 56%
Minority – 26%
Out-of-state – 15% (I hear it's about 10-15% a year)
Age – ranges from 21-45

Also, for the person asking about if any people have been accepted from NY, I am not sure about NY, but I know some OUCOM students that are from TX (this is where I am from), NJ, LA, IN, VA, AL and MI.

09-10 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=642490
10-11 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=738365

About the "Out-of-State Contract" all out-of staters dread including myself, there is an opt out to this contract that not many people know about and there are also other routes to take that shorten the length of the contract depending on your specialty/practice. You can buy your way out of the contract if you so absolutely cannot stand being in Ohio or for family reasons or just because. The last I heard (back in 2007) the cost of the buy out was about $50,000 which really isn't that bad when you think about it and I know of number of med students that are taking that route just cause they would rather be back home. I am not sure what it is now but they have some way of figuring it out. Hope this helps out with those of you that considered this a deal breaker.
Don't quote me on this but I remember it being something like if you were you to go into internal medicine, just a general practitioner for example and work in a rural area such as SE Ohio (the Appalachian region) then your time could be cut down to 3 years or your intership could also count towards part of the payback instead of going through your internship and then beginning your payback as a resident . These are just incentivies since OUCOM produces a number of doctors that pursue internal medicine.

This should by NO means influence your decision to go into general practice just to shave off a few years of the OOS contract. If internal medicine is a field you really want to go into then great, you can get through your contract a little faster than others, but if not, pursue your speciality, put up with the 5 years (it is not the end of the world) or buy out.