GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Nah, ur MCAT is fine, I wouldn't take it again, u might go lower.

Ur GPA is teetering on being "not good enough", but as I will explain below, it might not be a hindrance.

You might actually have a chance at MD schools if you apply right now. Ur URM status helps tremendously if half black people get counted as URM, use it to your advantage. Apply to historically black schools and all of your state MD schools. I think a majority of DO schools will also take a look at you.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Ur GPA is teetering on being "not good enough", but as I will explain below, it might not be a hindrance.

You might actually have a chance at MD schools if you apply right now. Ur URM status helps tremendously if half black people get counted as URM, use it to your advantage. Apply to historically black schools and all of your state MD schools. I think a majority of DO schools will also take a look at you.
I thought you were trolling when you said my "MCAT is fine" lol. Are you being serious? I literally planned on taking it again...

TheStallion16

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student

A 499 MCAT is absolutely not fine ha I don't know where the hell you got that idea. That score gives you virtually no chance at MD. You might get some interest from a few DO schools, but taking it again, especially with your GPA, is an absolute must if you want to go to medical school.

Boogy'sChick15

2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

You're joking right? I really hope you are just trolling.
My advice is the same as @TheStallion16 , with your current GPA, I would consider taking some time to really study for the MCAT, and take it again when you are ready. A 508 would make you competitive for most DO schools, but with your current GPA you still aren't very competitive for MD schools.

Also, you have decent hours for clinical volunteer work and research, but you are lacking in community service. I would focus on studying for the MCAT and look for some non-clinical volunteer hours.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You're joking right? I really hope you are just trolling.
My advice is the same as @TheStallion16 , with your current GPA, I would consider taking some time to really study for the MCAT, and take it again when you are ready. A 508 would make you competitive for most DO schools, but with your current GPA you still aren't very competitive for MD schools.

Also, you have decent hours for clinical volunteer work and research, but you are lacking in community service. I would focus on studying for the MCAT and look for some non-clinical volunteer hours.
Do you think my URM status will help at all? I probably should've included that in the title of this thread. I also did have about 200 non-clinical volunteer hours, which I just added.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Do you think my URM status will help at all? I probably should've included that in the title of this thread lol
You are a candidate for the HBCU's and your public state schools, particularly if you are in a lucky state.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You are a candidate for the HBCU's and your public state schools, particularly if you are in a lucky state.
I live in Michigan, and applied to Michigan State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Wayne State and Oakland. You think I have a shot at any of those schools?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I live in Michigan, and applied to Michigan State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Wayne State and Oakland. You think I have a shot at any of those schools?
Yes, particularly if you have a validated commitment to service.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I thought you were trolling when you said my "MCAT is fine" lol. Are you being serious? I literally planned on taking it again...
If you qualify as an URM, then no, I am not joking. The people above who quoted me must not have seen that you were an URM.

GynGyn gave u some great advice. apply to Historically Black Schools and state schools.

May 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I would say still apply. A good friend of mine, who is a URM (black) male from Ohio, scored a 498 on his MCAT last July. He just started his MI year at IU-Bloomington. Nothing is impossible. I just hope to have a great app to back those numbers up!

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello I'm a URM student (half-AA) and I just wanted to know my chances at MD/DO this cycle with these stats:

3.3 sGPA/3.2 cGPA
499 MCAT (125 B/S, 125 C/P, 126 P/S, 123 CARS)
350 hours clinical volunteering
300 hours voluntary research
200 hours community service
50 hours shadowing
250 hours tutoring

I know my MCAT might be killing my chances but I do plan to take it again, namely to improve my CARS score, which hasn't appeared to change in the past year. Do I have any chances at MD this cycle? I was looking at the statistics for accepted African-American students with my stats and it says they had a 56.4% acceptance rate into medical school. Is this accurate, and if so is it just for MD schools or MD and DO schools combined?

I applied with a 496 and 3.55/3.4 gpa and got one interview last cycle. So it's worth a shot. Don't listen to the haters.

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
I applied with a 496 and 3.55/3.4 gpa and got one interview last cycle. So it's worth a shot. Don't listen to the haters.
Nobody was hating on you in the other thread. But with one interview and no acceptances last cycle, it was obvious that something needed to be improved upon. That being your MCAT score. I mean this respectfully in that if you don't want to hear honest opinions from people, you shouldn't post on SDN seeking advice.

With that being said, a 3.3s/3.2c will be a lot more competitive with a 505+ than with a 499. Will potentially provide OP with options, instead of just one possible acceptance. If it were me, I would absolutely retake.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
1 II and 0 acceptances does not a successful cycle make... Nobody was hating on you, you need a better MCAT and that is just the honest truth. We all want you to get in, which is why we are telling you to retake.

Prilozack

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2016
Wherever Your Heart Palpitates
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
A 499 MCAT is absolutely not fine ha I don't know where the hell you got that idea. That score gives you virtually no chance at MD. You might get some interest from a few DO schools, but taking it again, especially with your GPA, is an absolute must if you want to go to medical school.
It's definitely good enough for schools. 499 will get you into DO and most focused MD programs where you fit the mission.

Feb 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
People saying you can’t get accepted to any program with those scores are stupid nerds. Not everyone is planning on Harvard or Wash U, and while your numbers are not excellent, they’re fine for plenty of DO and a decent amount of MD schools. Just have your essays stand out and you’ll be good.

Cardboard101

Wait, I got in?
2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
1. This is a 2 year old post.
2. OP is URM, the earlier people who responded OP wouldn't get in didn't know he was URM until he posted later.

May 16, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

Did you get in? I got a 499 MCAT :( but I have a 3.56 GPA, over 6 years of healthcare experience, economically disadvantaged, want to serve rural communities. Do I have a shot?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Did you get in? I got a 499 MCAT :( but I have a 3.56 GPA, over 6 years of healthcare experience, economically disadvantaged, want to serve rural communities. Do I have a shot?
OP's post history shows some IIs and waitlisting, but no accepts, AFAIK.

Your stats are lethal for MD schools, but OK for DO. Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools. Skip BCOM, CUSOM, KCU, the Touros, CCOM
and AZCOM.

If you're boning for the mD, you need to retake the MCAT and do much, much better.