3.3 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 34Q...Be Brutally Honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really shat the bed freshman year with a 2.8 GPA, raised my GPA a bit sophomore year (3.4 GPA), and finally got a hold of things junior year with 3.8 GPA and Dean's list. Just got MCAT scores too and managed a 34Q.
-Double Major - Classics (Latin and Greek) and Premedicine
-EMT-Basic (350+ hours of pt. care and pt. contact)
-Medical Terminology (Latin and Greek Roots) Teaching Assistant
-Classics Research Assistant (Will be published after I graduate)
-EMT-B Testing Assistant (Went back to the school I took my EMT-B course at and tested current students on practical stations for a summer)
-Shadowed 2 Doctors for 10 hrs each
-Volunteered at Children Center
-First Aid Services Provider for sporting events at school
-Solid LoRs
-NO research - just not my thing

School List: (Reach to Safety)
-UNC
-Tufts
-Vandy
-Emory
-UVA
-Georgetown
-Maryland
-Tulane
-Boston
-Loyola Chicago
-SLU
-LSU-NO

I really just want to know people's thoughts on which ones I have a real shot at. I know my list is not very long, but I am confident I will get into LSU-NO. So not really trying to just get in somewhere more trying to find somewhere that is worth leaving the in state state school. If I do not get into a reach I will most likely end up at LSU, Loyola, or BU. Also, I am technically Hispanic but speak very little Spanish (spent too much time learning Latin and Greek). Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You could add more GPA-forgiving schools like:

Drexel
Temple
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
New York Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth

Your clinical experience and shadowing sound fine, and the teaching is great, but how much community service have you done (Loyola, at least, really values this)? And do you have any leadership?

The great MCAT score compensates for the low cGPA, but you'd be more competitive with your reach schools with another year of GPA improvement, if they're important to you.

The more selective schools would want to see a strong research experience, or strong leadership, or standout humanistic endeavors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see what you're saying. My advisor also said I would need a year off if I wanted to get into a reach school. But I am just not sure if its a smart idea when I can get into a lower tier school. As far as your critiques, I totally agree but becoming an EMT was a ton of work (two full summers) and I just did not have time for other activities. I could have done more during the school years but had bigger problems on my hands as my GPA reveals. Is there anything I can really do to compensate for the lack of leadership, research and community service without taking a year off? I am looking at mostly primary care focused medical schools, so research is not a big focus for me. I did volunteer in high school in a geriatric unit and volunteered last year at a children center. As far as leadership...I don't know...I was a team captain for my local baseball team that I played for my first two summers of college (and the previous ten years)...and being a teaching assistant for this class requires a significant amount of leadership skills.

Being a team captain is a leadership experience, and the many years of involvement before that speak to your dedication. The TA experience I'd list under Teaching, mentioning any leadership elements in the description. How many community service hours do you have in total? Don't include HS experience, as it won't be considered in the Activities section, but if it was meaningful, you can bring it up in your Personal Statement.

I think you're a competitive applicant.

You started with a weak GPA, but the upward trend is impressive (as long as you're not taking a really light course load!). Your MCAT proves that although your interests are diverse (classics major), you know your stuff and are prepared for med school. The EMT certification is also a strong point.

I think you have a shot at the schools you listed. I agree on adding NYMC, Temple.

You might even want to throw a couple more reaches into the mix. It's all a crap shoot, but think the strong upward trend and strong MCAT help in offsetting you cumulative GPA.

The uptrend GPA and MCAT scores look nice.