3.3 sGPA, hurting me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maizeandblue18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have no taken the MCAT yet but I am currently studying for it and it is looking like I am going to be around the 35 mark. Obviously I want as high as I can get. But last semester, I received my first C in college in physics, along with 2 B's in physiology and biochem. This really anchored my sGPA from around a 3.45 to about a 3.3. My question is, will this really hurt me now? Luckily, I have some very strong letters of recs, and I also founded a student organization on campus that directly works with the Ronald McDonald Houses in Ann Arbor (I go to UMICH). I am also a volunteer, and am getting published for research. I am freaking out a bit just because I am worried that I may have effectively lowered my chances at med school with that horrible semester. My question is, do I still have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

3.3 is definitely going to hurt. Minimize the damage with a strong MCAT and try to get 4.0 from here on out.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 is less than ideal and will likely be a hinderance

however, a lot of my friends have gotten into good schools with 3.3 sGPAs and MCAT ranging from 33 to 37. all had excellent ECs.

3.3 wont rule you out of MD schools, even the good ones. but like mcloaf said, get that sGPA as high as you can. good luck.

The answer to your question is yes, but I think you could still have a shot is your MCAT is as good as you expect and your application is steller in all other aspects.