3.32 sGPA 3.45 cGPA 30O MCAT can I get in either?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudeliness

hi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New here. This is my first post.
So I have been planning on applying DO for many reasons, but have been toying with the idea of applying MD too. I'd like to know what you all think my chances are either way.
Like I said, 3.32 sGPA 3.45 cGPA with an upward trend the last two years. Took the MCAT once and got a 30O (12V/8P/10B). I'm a 28yr old white male. I will be OOS to wherever I apply since I don't want to go to Utah.
I think my EC's are ok:
400+ hours volunteer as Spanish interpreter in the hospital (that was my major for BA)
800+ hours working with youth from church
90 hours as literacy tutor for adults through public library
900+ hours doing service for a church mission in Argentina

60 hours shadowing 2 docs (internist and general surgeon)

Yeah don't know what other info would be pertinent. Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

That 900 hours for church mission.....is that number based on hours spent in argentina, as in 24/7, for 5 weeks?

No. I've been really unsure how to count it. I was there for 2 years mostly proselytizing but I also did have some leadership positions and non-religious type service so those are the hours I counted. I think it averaged out to 12 hours a week for 2 years or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind, for any extracurricular, you need to provide contact info for someone who can confirm this, and not like a friend who knew younwere doing this, more like a supervisor or a professor, mission-head, whomever. Also, you only have so much space to describe, so you may want to dial it back a bit and describe one or two things that you did while in America sud and give more realistic hours for it.....900 looks like alot for one thing that wasnt full time employment....May raise some eyebrows

Keep in mind, for any extracurricular, you need to provide contact info for someone who can confirm this, and not like a friend who knew younwere doing this, more like a supervisor or a professor, mission-head, whomever. Also, you only have so much space to describe, so you may want to dial it back a bit and describe one or two things that you did while in America sud and give more realistic hours for it.....900 looks like alot for one thing that wasnt full time employment....May raise some eyebrows

Since I was doing mission stuff 6 days a week from 10-9 and only included actual hours that I was training other missionaries and doing service like building houses etc I think I already pared it down about as much as I could. But overall what do you think my chances are of MD or DO?

Last edited: