May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Ok I had this posted under what are my chances but I was getting no love and my thread will soon be lost in the flood.
3.32 sGPA
3.45 cGPA with an upward trend the last two years.
MCAT 30O (12V/8P/10B). I'm a 28yr old white male. I will be OOS to wherever I apply since Utah has no DO options.
I think my EC's are ok:
400+ hours volunteer as Spanish interpreter in the hospital (that was my major for BA)
800+ hours working with youth from church
90 hours as literacy tutor for adults through public library
900+ hours doing service for a church mission in Argentina (was there for 2 years)

60 hours shadowing 2 docs (internist and general surgeon)

Yeah don't know what other info would be pertinent. Please let me know what you think.

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Apply broadly June 1st, don't sound like a moron in your PS or secondaries, don't act like a tool in your interviews, and you should walk away with multiple acceptances.

Basically, with your stats, any acceptance is yours to lose. You aren't a solid "give him a scholarship" lock, but you are definitely slightly above average overall. you will get in. good luck.

OP
dudeliness
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Apply broadly June 1st, don't sound like a moron in your PS or secondaries, don't act like a tool in your interviews, and you should walk away with multiple acceptances.

Basically, with your stats, any acceptance is yours to lose. You aren't a solid "give him a scholarship" lock, but you are definitely slightly above average overall. you will get in. good luck.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is feeling pretty frazzled trying to tweak and perfect applications, review and select schools to apply to, and try not to bite my nails too much while trying to wade through this whole process.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Ok I had this posted under what are my chances but I was getting no love and my thread will soon be lost in the flood.
3.32 sGPA
3.45 cGPA with an upward trend the last two years.
MCAT 30O (12V/8P/10B). I'm a 28yr old white male. I will be OOS to wherever I apply since Utah has no DO options.
I think my EC's are ok:
400+ hours volunteer as Spanish interpreter in the hospital (that was my major for BA)
800+ hours working with youth from church
90 hours as literacy tutor for adults through public library
900+ hours doing service for a church mission in Argentina (was there for 2 years)

60 hours shadowing 2 docs (internist and general surgeon)

Yeah don't know what other info would be pertinent. Please let me know what you think.
Great stats and ECs. Did you get to shadow a DO? Some DO schools claim to require a DO LOR so you might want to save money and not apply to those if you don't have one. Here's a spreadsheet, which I assume is up to date.

Looks like you're in pretty good shape otherwise.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en&key=0AkQjgkrQwlmCdDdPRG15djh5NGJfRFhoVWdLdVJIaFE&hl=en&f=true&noheader=true&gid=0

OP
dudeliness
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Great stats and ECs. Did you get to shadow a DO? Some DO schools claim to require a DO LOR so you might want to save money and not apply to those if you don't have one. Here's a spreadsheet, which I assume is up to date.

Looks like you're in pretty good shape otherwise.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en&key=0AkQjgkrQwlmCdDdPRG15djh5NGJfRFhoVWdLdVJIaFE&hl=en&f=true&noheader=true&gid=0
Yeah shoulda mentioned that both those docs are DOs. The general surgeon wrote me a LOR. I've also got one solid LOR from my biochem teacher and waiting on one from my Ochem teacher :xf: and pre-med advisor so I hope to have all my bases covered for the application.
Should I apply June 1 if I don't have all my LOR yet? I mean those aren't usually required by schools until it's time for secondaries right?

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Yeah shoulda mentioned that both those docs are DOs. The general surgeon wrote me a LOR. I've also got one solid LOR from my biochem teacher and waiting on one from my Ochem teacher :xf: and pre-med advisor so I hope to have all my bases covered for the application.
Should I apply June 1 if I don't have all my LOR yet? I mean those aren't usually required by schools until it's time for secondaries right?

Yea I don't see any reason why you won't get at least one DO acceptance.. unless you're weird or have some kind of conviction.

And yes, submit on June 1. Don't need the LORs until later.

OP
dudeliness
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Yea I don't see any reason why you won't get at least one DO acceptance.. unless you're weird or have some kind of conviction.

And yes, submit on June 1. Don't need the LORs until later.
eye of the beholder my friend. Or was that beauty? Meh

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
eye of the beholder my friend. Or was that beauty? Meh

Well, work on not seeming weird to an old conservative doctor ;). Although, I have heard that some schools use MS4's to interview people.. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I wouldn't know how to behave for one.

OP
dudeliness
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Well, work on not seeming weird to an old conservative doctor ;). Although, I have heard that some schools use MS4's to interview people.. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I wouldn't know how to behave for one.
Pardon my incognizance of terminology. MS4?
I usually interview well, if I do say so myself, but I have no idea what kinds of questions they will ask. Is there another thread that deals with that stuff? I guess I could always go do a search...

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Pardon my incognizance of terminology. MS4?
I usually interview well, if I do say so myself, but I have no idea what kinds of questions they will ask. Is there another thread that deals with that stuff? I guess I could always go do a search...
MS4 = 4th year medical student.

There's an article somewhere that talks about interviews. I'm sure you could find a thread about it too.

May 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
You'll get multiple acceptances and nearly every pre med's dream of being required to choose which to attend rather than begging for a spot.
That google doc is a pretty helpful one! Wonder if there could be a column added for the number of prof LORs...

OP
dudeliness
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
You'll get multiple acceptances and nearly every pre med's dream of being required to choose which to attend rather than begging for a spot.
That google doc is a pretty helpful one! Wonder if there could be a column added for the number of prof LORs...
Hey thanks for the post! Fingers crossed, I'm applying tomorrow!

OP
dudeliness
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Ah, I remember this thread. Seems like a lifetime ago. How SDN has changed me. *teardrop*
lol