MD 3.33 gpa 25 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoroso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Black male. Worked as a patient safety technician for 2 years. Just wanted to know my chances of getting into the following schools:
Howard
University of Illinois
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Medical College of Georgia
Morehouse
Meharry
Pennsylvania State University

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to any DO schools? Because you should.

I feel like Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry should be legitimately possible. Touchpause 13 is right, applying DO will expand your options by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can improve the MCAT to a 30 or near 30 it will raise your chances significantly. If you can score between 27 - 32 your chances now become 82 - 88% of getting in to MD schools. You are currently at about 65% based on numbers alone (https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf). I think you have a very realistic shot at Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse already though, but consider that statistically, while you are within range, your numbers are below the averages on for both GPA and MCAT scores.

With the current MCAT score it's an uphill battle, especially at the other schools. If you can retake that MCAT and get it up 3 or more points, you will be golden numbers-wise. Also, if you don't already have this do some shadowing, clinical volunteering, non-medical volunteering, etc (your patient safety tech job is really good though).

I think if you get the extra curricular activities good and can get that MCAT to 27/28 or higher, you will be in the running for almost all of those schools and then some. If you can put in a lot of time and effort to make that happen, it will pay dividends. Stay positive and work hard and you'll get there if you truly want it.

Best of luck!

accmed has a point, it would be easier to see where you are if you included what EC's you have. Yeah retaking the MCAT I think would be a dynamite idea, especially since it shows those schools that you have the drive to keep trying even if your first try on the MCAT wasn't as successful as you would have wanted it to be.

Chances are:

Howard (excellent)
University of Illinois (excellent if your home state)
SUNY Downstate (excellent if your home state)
Hofstra (good-excellent)
Medical College of Georgia (only if you're a GA native)
Morehouse (excellent)
Meharry (excellent)
Pennsylvania State University (good-excellent)

really? I figured he'd have a legitimate shot at some schools but didn't realize it could be an excellent shot at some of these. I'm an Afro-Caribbean/hispanic male and have been told ill need mid-30s on MCAT to have a legit shot. I'd definitely apply DO as well to improve your chances of becoming a physician. I know I will be.

EDIT: to be clear, my GPAs are 3.3/3.1 and was told that about MCAT. not sure

URMs get viewed through a different prism because, well, we need more URM doctors!

really? I figured he'd have a legitimate shot at some schools but didn't realize it could be an excellent shot at some of these. I'm an Afro-Caribbean/hispanic male and have been told ill need mid-30s on MCAT to have a legit shot. I'd definitely apply DO as well to improve your chances of becoming a physician. I know I will be.

EDIT: to be clear, my GPAs are 3.3/3.1 and was told that about MCAT. not sure

URMs get viewed through a different prism because, well, we need more URM doctors!

yeah I totally get that and agree with it, and as I stated I'm a URM myself. but even as a URM I've been told I need a mid 30s mcat with my GPA to have a legitimate shot. I'd expect the same responses in OP's case.

Whoever told you that was misinformed. The stats for URM acceptees are several points lower than ORMs. Look at the avg numbers for, say, Meharry or Howard.

There is a point that even URMs become non-competitive. We'd be doing you no favor if, say we accepted you if your GPA was 2.5 and MCAT = 20. We want all students to be able to succeed in medical school.

yeah I totally get that and agree with it, and as I stated I'm a URM myself. but even as a URM I've been told I need a mid 30s mcat with my GPA to have a legitimate shot. I'd expect the same responses in OP's case.

There is a point that even URMs become non-competitive. We'd be doing you no favor if, say we accepted you if your GPA was 2.5 and MCAT = 20. We want all students to be able to succeed in medical school.

you undergrad MCAT and GPA dont necessarily mean you will do good/poorly in med school, maybe your GPA was affected early on or mid degree because of a family problems or a complication of some sort, which is why i find it ridiculous that it is the main aspect. a person may have done poorly on the mcat because of particular situations yet kill the step 1 or have average gpa's and be topof the class in med

According to this chart ( https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf )with his number he has a 65 chance of being accepted which is pretty good. But in reality AA females out number AA males in medical school 3-1. This chart was made counting AA females acceptance as well as males , so in other words, due to the rarity of AA males his chances of acceptance are a lot higher than 65 percent.

very interesting to hear and see some of the facts. still want to crush this test as I don't want to sell myself short, but nice to know it could all still be possible for me.

This is true, but only when it occurs with a powerful upward trend, or significant success in a post-bac/SMP.

Yes, someone may do poorly on MCAT but theoretically be an excellent medical student. However, one has to prove that to us, and it's a seller's market for medical schools, so we can afford to turn away people who can't seemingly get it right the first time. Excelling in UG is the fastest way to convince us that one can make a successful medical student. For URMs, we cut 'em some slack, but only up to a point.

you undergrad MCAT and GPA don't necessarily mean you will do good/poorly in med school, maybe your GPA was affected early on or mid degree because of a family problems or a complication of some sort, which is why i find it ridiculous that it is the main aspect. a person may have done poorly on the mcat because of particular situations yet kill the step 1 or have average gpa's and be topof the class in med

I know this is old but I'm stumbling on it now. I have a question about hofstra....do u think i also should apply also if I have a 24 mcat and 3.75 gap also AA male and d 1 football player with all my ECs in underserved areas....On the schools website they have an extremely high mcat avg, but that just might be bc they are accepting higher stat guys. On the aamc table it says 75% of MD acceptance
You're going to have to retake the MCAT because I'm pretty sure no one accepts the old exam scores anymore.

URM candidates get cut significant slack. Also, do not underestimate the fondness that Admissions deans have for athlete-scholars.

But you need to show that you can handle med school, at the minimum. Hence, the need for an MCAT of 500 or better.

Reactions: 1 users
Too late, i made the decision already and I’m applying broad. I believe that I can get into an MD with my current application
Chances best at the HBCs and your state school. But I know of an AA SDNer who has yet to get in with stats similar to yours, even at DO schools. A 2x MCAT taker with scores < the 50% ile are more at risk to fail out of med school and/or fail Boards. No school is doing you any favors by being at risk, although there is a somewhat ruthless calculus behind their logic in accepting you.

So see how this app cycle shakes out, and plan on a retake if you have no love by March.

IF test taking anxiety is an issue, that's fixable!

if that's your pic in your avatar, suggest changing it to protect your privacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Chances best at the HBCs and your state school. But I know of an AA SDNer who has yet to get in with stats similar to yours, even at DO schools. A 2x MCAT taker with scores < the 50% ile are more at risk to fail out of med school and/or fail Boards. No school is doing you any favors by being at risk, although there is a somewhat ruthless calculus behind their logic in accepting you.

So see how this app cycle shakes out, and plan on a retake if you have no love by March.

IF test taking anxiety is an issue, that's fixable!

if that's your pic in your avatar, suggest changing it to protect your privacy.
Thanks for the advice! And Im sorry, but I don’t have a picture in my avatar nor did I ever choose one?