3.34, 32R, WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunkissd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have scoured this forum and can't find a thread with similar stats! What do you think & recommend?

edit: removed details for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't recommend CA schools with that GPA.

Best of luck with WashU.

unless you are a URM, your statistics are too low for Wash U. And if you establish residency in CA, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD (for sure these three), and possibly even UCI and UCD would be reaches. I would see if you could bump up that GPA....its quite low for competitive schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops, sorry to be misleading. I'm not even thinking about applying to WU. I'm just looking for any sort of recommendations.

Last edited:
oops, sorry to be misleading. I'm not even thinking about applying to WU.

oh. i must have misread your post...

if you apply broadly enough, i feel you should get in somewhere. your cgpa and sgpa certainly could use some improving and could keep you out of some better schools as you have a solid mcat score that could certainly get you places.

looks like you have plenty of volunteer and shadowing. research isnt there, but that isnt really a requirement. i'd bet you get in somewhere IF you applied to the right schools and broadly enough.

as far as courses go, perhaps you could retake the ones you didnt do well in and shoot for As. otherwise, taking only additional classes would make it very difficult to bring that low of a sgpa up higher.

edit: btw.....upward trend in grades (like in your jr and senior yr as you mentioned) are good. perhaps you could disclose/explain to schools in your personal statement why your grade werent as good as those in your jr/snr yrs.

That GPA is going to make Cali schools and UWash hard to get....

if you are going to change instate....head to Texas!!

Somehow you need to raise that GPA to get a chance.

MCAT is average pretty much for that area and OOS.

ECs are great though.

Take upper division science classes and raise that science GPA (which in turn will raise your overall). That should make you competitive for some mid tier schools. GL.

You are a very similar applicant to me. I too am a California resident with a decent MCAT and low GPA. I also had very good EC's (which you do as well). So we are pretty similar.

I'll be honest...I didnt' have one interview at a California school. However, I was accepted to OOS schools. I still think you should apply to Cali schools. It can't hurt. But with a broad enough selection, I know you will get in somewhere.

Which OOS school did you get accepted to?

Hey sunkissd,

Seriously, the rigor of the WashU curriculum is well-known amongst medical school committees. And if the statistics show a 67% chance of students with your credentials getting into at least one medical school, you have a shot.

Second, why are you posting on SDN? You should probably trust the opinion of your premedical advisors over premedical students here who are also posting tons of questions of their own. You posted that you've had a rough time freshman to sophomore year and your mother was sick and you took the time to take care of her. Even with these details, posters who reply only emphasize your GPA/MCAT/ ECs and that you just don't have a shot at CA schools with your numbers. Yet medical school committees are people, and they will take your hardships into account, as long as you don't victimize yourself.

My experience from reading posts on SDN is that people glance at your numbers, note how long your list of extracurriculars is, and immediately tell you your chances for a school/schools. If medical schools made decisions the same way, the application process wouldn't be so long! (nor would it include an interview)

Best of luck. :luck: