3.34/503. POST BACC NYS RESIDENT MED SCHOOL LIST 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cason_milton435

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I would like some advice/help on generating an allopathic school list. I just got my MCAT score back and it's not what I expected, I need a new game plan. My goal is to get into med school this cycle, looking to add allopathic schools that look at applicants *holistically*

Background. 29 y/o nurse for 6+ years (ICU, Med-Surg, Telemetry), Research for 1 year at NYU no pubs, 300+ volunteer at soup kitchen (still volunteering), Gen Chemistry TA 2 semesters, President of a few clubs. Asian Female, grew up in low SES but not sure if I qualify for URM.

STATS: MCAT: 503 (127/124/126/126) sGPA: 3.89 and UG GPA: 3.34.

I am an NYS resident and I am open to applying to DO schools. So far I only have added 4 DO (mostly in the tristate) schools to the list and I am willing to add more. I would like to stay within 4-5 hour drive from home (NYC).

I would appreciate any feedback on the OOS schools I choose and suggestions are appreciated!

**RETAKING MCAT IS NOT REALLY AN OPTION, PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THAT THANKS :)**

ALLOPATHIC SCHOOL LIST:

• Albany Medical College
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  • Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science OOS
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University OOS
  • Creighton University School of Medicine OOS
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School OOS
  • Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University OOS
  • Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine OOS
  • Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine OOS
  • Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  • Loma Linda University School of Medicine OOS
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine OOS
  • New York Medical College
  • New York University Long Island School of Medicine
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University OOS
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine OOS
  • Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
  • Rutgers New Jersey Medical School OOS
  • Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School OOS
  • State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  • State University of New York Upstate Medical University
  • University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson OOS
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine OOS
  • University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine OOS
  • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  • University of Utah School of Medicine OOS
  • Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center OOS
  • West Virginia University School of Medicine OOS
  • Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine OOS
DO:
  • LAKE ERIE COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE
  • NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE (NYITCOM) LONG ISLAND (OLD WESTBURY NY)
  • PHILADELPHIA COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE/PCOM SOUTH GEORGIA
  • ROCKY VISTA UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE-COLORADO/UTAH
  • ROWAN UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE
  • TOURO COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE–NEW YORK
  • WEST VIRGINIA SCHOOL OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to have some DO schools on your list. There is very little chance for MD without a better MCAT.

Edit: I suggest KCU both campuses, ARCOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, NYITs, PCOMs, LECOMs, AT still, RVUs, ACOM, VCOMs, TOUROs, NOVA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You need to have some DO schools on your list. There is very little chance for MD without a better MCAT.

Edit: I suggest KCU both campuses, ARCOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, NYITs, PCOMs, LECOMs, AT still, RVUs, ACOM, VCOMs, TOUROs, NOVA.
Oh there are DO schools on my list for sure! Just wondering if I was missing some MD schools that I should be looking at.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the title suggests, I would like some advice/help on generating an allopathic school list. I just got my MCAT score back and it's not what I expected, I need a new game plan. My goal is to get into med school this cycle, looking to add allopathic schools that look at applicants *holistically*

Background. 29 y/o nurse for 6+ years (ICU, Med-Surg, Telemetry), Research for 1 year at NYU no pubs, 300+ volunteer at soup kitchen (still volunteering), Gen Chemistry TA 2 semesters, President of a few clubs. Asian Female, grew up in low SES but not sure if I qualify for URM.

STATS: MCAT: 503 (127/124/126/126) sGPA: 3.89 and UG GPA: 3.34.

I am an NYS resident and I am open to applying to DO schools. So far I only have added 4 DO (mostly in the tristate) schools to the list and I am willing to add more. I would like to stay within 4-5 hour drive from home (NYC).

I would appreciate any feedback on the OOS schools I choose and suggestions are appreciated!

**RETAKING MCAT IS NOT REALLY AN OPTION, PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THAT THANKS :)**

ALLOPATHIC SCHOOL LIST:

• Albany Medical College
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  • Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science OOS
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University OOS
  • Creighton University School of Medicine OOS
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School OOS
  • Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University OOS
  • Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine OOS
  • Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine OOS
  • Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  • Loma Linda University School of Medicine OOS
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine OOS
  • New York Medical College
  • New York University Long Island School of Medicine
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University OOS
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine OOS
  • Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
  • Rutgers New Jersey Medical School OOS
  • Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School OOS
  • State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  • State University of New York Upstate Medical University
  • University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson OOS
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine OOS
  • University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine OOS
  • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  • University of Utah School of Medicine OOS
  • Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center OOS
  • West Virginia University School of Medicine OOS
  • Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine OOS

You should re-post this in the What Are My Chances premed subforum. You can get an admissions committee member to review your application and provide you a good list of DO schools.

I can tell you right now that the majority of the MD schools you listed are going to be out of reach with your MCAT. Some of the NY schools may be willing to consider you.

You have also listed a bunch of state schools that overwhelmingly favor their own in-state candidates, so those aren't good options either. If you are serious about applying to any MD programs this cycle, you should purchase a subscription to the Medical School Admissions Requirements database so you can check the MCAT/GPA ranges and the OOS favorability of your target schools - otherwise you'll be wasting your time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
You should re-post this in the What Are My Chances premed subforum. You can get an admissions committee member to review your application and provide you a good list of DO schools.

I can tell you right now that the majority of the MD schools you listed are going to be out of reach with your MCAT. Some of the NY schools may be willing to consider you.

You have also listed a bunch of state schools that overwhelmingly favor their own in-state candidates, so those aren't good options either. If you are serious about applying to any MD programs this cycle, you should purchase a subscription to the Medical School Admissions Requirements database so you can check the MCAT/GPA ranges and the OOS favorability of your target schools - otherwise you'll be wasting your time and money.
Thanks for the input. I did some digging and generated this list with Lizzy M, I do have AMSAR. Which schools would you say are overwhelmingly In-State friendly?

Thanks for the input. I did some digging and generated this list with Lizzy M, I do have AMSAR. Which schools would you say are overwhelmingly In-State friendly?
All of the "University of" schools that aren't in NY, and West Virginia.

Asian is ORM. It really sucks especially if you're from a low SES background like you mentioned but that's how it works unfortunately.

I suggest you take a very close look at your list. Like Loma Linda, are you religious/would you be able to fit with their mission? Volunteering is good for some of the more mission-based schools like Creighton or Loyola but 300 hours is probably on the low end of what they're looking for. Your MCAT is too low for a lot of these schools especially since your overall GPA is on the low end too. Can you clarify, did you do a post-bac? What was your GPA in that?

Reactions: 1 user
Utah, AZ, CT, Wright State, probably some others (I can't remember which ones are public and which are private). The MSAR will give a breakdown of percentage accepted IS vs OOS. Keep in mind, too, that successful OOS applicants at public universities often have significant ties to the state or school (legacy, graduated high school in the state, etc.) or are superstar applicants.

Sorry to say but the LizzyM generator is very inaccurate - it really overestimates candidates' chances at schools. I wish it would be updated to be more reflective of the reality of medical school admissions, or it should be pulled altogether. That thing told me that Yale and Stanford were within my target range. I will have you know that Yale and Stanford were most definitely not in my target range.

Asian is ORM. It really sucks especially if you're from a low SES background like you mentioned but that's how it works unfortunately.

I suggest you take a very close look at your list. Like Loma Linda, are you religious/would you be able to fit with their mission? Volunteering is good for some of the more mission-based schools like Creighton or Loyola but 300 hours is probably on the low end of what they're looking for. Your MCAT is too low for a lot of these schools especially since your overall GPA is on the low end too. Can you clarify, did you do a post-bac? What was your GPA in that?
My UG was at NYU and that was in nursing. My postbacc was 3.89.

No I am not religious but I might turn into a religious zealot if Loma Linda takes me ;)

No I am not religious but I might turn into a religious zealot if Loma Linda takes me ;)
Haha well you'll have to convince them that you are if you want to apply! They're going to ask why you applied and why you'd be a good fit in the secondary application. Some of the questions are "Discuss how your spiritual origins, development, and experiences have influenced and been integrated into your daily life." and :Do you regularly attend or participate in the services of a church or religious group? (yes/no) Please comment.", and you need to have good answers to those questions.

The good thing is that the post bac is much more recent so those grades will be more carefully considered. But that MCAT is really limiting, I really think you should focus on NY state schools + maybe Creighton/Loyola/NYU LI/NYMC/EVMS/Hackensack + DO. I applied last year as a nontrad too with a 2.8 UG, 4.0 postbac and 521 MCAT. I didn't include any DO schools, and didn't get accepted anywhere. You've got to have DO schools on your list. If you repost in the WAMC forum there are some adcoms and advisors who would probably be better positioned to help you with a school list.

Haha well you'll have to convince them that you are if you want to apply! They're going to ask why you applied and why you'd be a good fit in the secondary application. Some of the questions are "Discuss how your spiritual origins, development, and experiences have influenced and been integrated into your daily life." and :Do you regularly attend or participate in the services of a church or religious group? (yes/no) Please comment.", and you need to have good answers to those questions.

The good thing is that the post bac is much more recent so those grades will be more carefully considered. But that MCAT is really limiting, I really think you should focus on NY state schools + maybe Creighton/Loyola/NYU LI/NYMC/EVMS/Hackensack + DO. I applied last year as a nontrad too with a 2.8 UG, 4.0 postbac and 521 MCAT. I didn't include any DO schools, and didn't get accepted anywhere. You've got to have DO schools on your list. If you repost in the WAMC forum there are some adcoms and advisors who would probably be better positioned to help you with a school list.
LOL JK. Totally took them off after a few folks questioned whether I looked at their handbook :O

That's the plan, I just have a amcas fee waiver so I wanted to fill in at least 20-25 schools.

LOL JK. Totally took them off after a few folks questioned whether I looked at their handbook :O

That's the plan, I just have a amcas fee waiver so I wanted to fill in at least 20-25 schools.
Got it. Yeah I can understand not wanting to waste those applications! But don't underestimate the time and energy it takes to submit that many secondaries. It's more important to submit well-crafted applications to the schools that fit you best than to shotgun them off to schools that might not even open your application because of the stats. Anyway hopefully people in this forum will be able to help out more!

Be very careful. It’s more than being a religious zealot. It’s life style choices and behavior and decorum during school. It’s not a good idea to think it’s okay to try to fool ADCOMS in anyway.
Your GPA and MCAT are very low for MD. Stop worrying about finding MD schools and start working on your DO applications. You are right in the DO range. You need to do some soul searching and decide if you want to have an okay shot this year at DO or if you are insisting on MD then you’ll need a retake of the MCAT. What were you scoring on your FL practice tests?

Be very careful. It’s more than being a religious zealot. It’s life style choices and behavior and decorum during school. It’s not a good idea to think it’s okay to try to fool ADCOMS in anyway.
Your GPA and MCAT are very low for MD. Stop worrying about finding MD schools and start working on your DO applications. You are right in the DO range. You need to do some soul searching and decide if you want to have an okay shot this year at DO or if you are insisting on MD then you’ll need a retake of the MCAT. What were you scoring on your FL practice tests?
Totally taken Loma off. My scores were between 504-506 range. DO is my focus but I have a fee waiver for AMCAS for 20 schools so I figured I'd just shoot my shot...

Totally taken Loma off. My scores were between 504-506 range. DO is my focus but I have a fee waiver for AMCAS for 20 schools so I figured I'd just shoot my shot...
Your MCAT is exactly what you should have expected. It was within 1 point of your FL practice tests. Good luck as you move forward.