MD & DO 3.35 cGPA, 3.14sGPA, taking mcat april 2016 need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubles820

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a black female, born and raised in Washington, DC. And went to college in Oklahoma where I graduated Industrial and Systems Engineering / premed. I was the first in my family to graduate college. I am currently working as an engineer and is looking to apply to med school the next cycle. I have been taking care of my family since I was 14, after the death of my grandmother, and still continue to do so. Have been able to get my family (mother, brother and his kids) in a good place where they can be self sustaining and would really like to focus on my dreams by attending medical school and become a doctor.

My science GPA has a slight downward trend. I don't have the opportunity to retake any upper division classes because I live in a rural community and the closest 4 yr institution is 2hrs away.

EC's in College
-Sorority - VP and treasurer
-National Society of Black engineers - VP
-Multicultural engineering program - Mentor for ME^2 and incoming freshman students, recruiter
-Freshman action team - VP

Work experience in college
-Burger King
-Campus IT Department
-College of engineering: Responsible for recruitment, program logistics, training, staff meetings, and program budget for AT&T Engineering Summer Bridge Program and the Dean’s Leadership Council Engineering Tutor Program. Additionally, assisted Director and Assistant Director with day-to-day functions.
-Summer internships with Halliburton and Kimberly Clark

Volunteer in College
Freshman Year: Mayor’s Youth Leadership Institute, Edmond Memorial High School
Sophomore Year: Centers for Children and Families, Inc.
Junior Year: Centers for Children and Families, Inc., Northeast Academy High School
Senior Year: Medical Park West Rehabilitation
Volunteer service now
-Trails of Vernon County - Starter non-profit to get a biking community to help combat obesity
-Conversations for good - Coach/mentor students middle/high school in life skills, career paths, etc. Conduct webinars for various lessons
-E-STEAM - Developed summer enrichment curriculum for engineering aspiring students. Coach/mentor students middle/high school in life skills, career paths, etc. Conduct webinars for various lessons.

Clinical Experience
I am currently shadowing a DO and MD at my local hospital. I shadow for about 4hrs a week. I started in May of this year. For sure can get a recommendation from the DO I shadow. Will have to shadow and get to know the MD a little more.

I just want to know if there is any more I need to be doing in the mean time to be a great candidate for medical school. Since I now live and work in Missouri, this will be my state of residence by the time I apply for next cycle for MD/DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to find a way to drag up that GPA somehow. Even as a URM with a difficult history, an sGPA of 3.14 really hurts you in both MD and DO schools. Can you take ANY classes in science? I used a class in marine biology to help my GPA. Seriously. As of the old scoring system, a URM with a 3.35 and a 29 has a 75% chance of getting in. So nail that MCAT. Serious question: how are you going to study when taking care of your family and showing a downward trend, which suggests you're not coping.

How much clinical volunteering did you do? I see one definite source but not many others. Shadowing doesn't count.

You need to find a way to drag up that GPA somehow. Even as a URM with a difficult history, an sGPA of 3.14 really hurts you in both MD and DO schools. Can you take ANY classes in science? I used a class in marine biology to help my GPA. Seriously. As of the old scoring system, a URM with a 3.35 and a 29 has a 75% chance of getting in. So nail that MCAT. Serious question: how are you going to study when taking care of your family and showing a downward trend, which suggests you're not coping.

How much clinical volunteering did you do? I see one definite source but not many others. Shadowing doesn't count.

The bolded isn't true at all but downward trends aren't good things. How big of a downward trend are we talking? Your focus has to be the MCAT. MO is a relatively lucky state for MD purposes but the MCAT score is everything. As a general guide try and aim for 65th+ percentile or so on the test(obviously the higher the better and the 65th number is hardly absolute).

As for improving your app you need clinical experience. Volunteer in a hospital or hospice or somewhere which is a clinical env. If you can get a job in a hospital subch as a nursing assistant that works just as well. If you want its not a bad idea to get involved in some research either(clinical over basic might be a better idea given you only have about a year till app season).

Members don't see this ad :)

In terms of studying, I study about 4-6 hours a week. I am in a position with my family where my brother is now working part-time and trying to find my mom a job now. If I take two 4 credit hour classes and get a A in both, I can boost my science GPA to a 3.41. Do it matter whether is upper division or not?

I am applying for a volunteering position as a hospice at the local hospital.

The bolded isn't true at all but downward trends aren't good things. How big of a downward trend are we talking? Your focus has to be the MCAT. MO is a relatively lucky state for MD purposes but the MCAT score is everything. As a general guide try and aim for 65th+ percentile or so on the test(obviously the higher the better and the 65th number is hardly absolute).

As for improving your app you need clinical experience. Volunteer in a hospital or hospice or somewhere which is a clinical env. If you can get a job in a hospital subch as a nursing assistant that works just as well. If you want its not a bad idea to get involved in some research either(clinical over basic might be a better idea given you only have about a year till app season).

I have a C in Genetics and Cell biology. Genetics I took my spring semester sophomore year and cell biology I took second semester senior year while taking biochemistry and got a B in that class.

I have a C in Genetics and Cell biology. Genetics I took my spring semester sophomore year and cell biology I took second semester senior year while taking biochemistry and got a B in that class.

While C's in your last semester of college aren't ideal sometimes you just gotta apply and give it ago. I still think you'll be competitive with the right MCAT score. But you really need to get clinical exposure beyond shadowing in the next year.