MD & DO 3.35 cGPA, 3.14sGPA, taking mcat april 2016 need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubles820

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a black female, born and raised in Washington, DC. And went to college in Oklahoma where I graduated Industrial and Systems Engineering / premed. I was the first in my family to graduate college. I am currently working as an engineer and is looking to apply to med school the next cycle. I have been taking care of my family since I was 14, after the death of my grandmother, and still continue to do so. Have been able to get my family (mother, brother and his kids) in a good place where they can be self sustaining and would really like to focus on my dreams by attending medical school and become a doctor.

My science GPA has a slight downward trend. I don't have the opportunity to retake any upper division classes because I live in a rural community and the closest 4 yr institution is 2hrs away.

EC's in College
-Sorority - VP and treasurer
-National Society of Black engineers - VP
-Multicultural engineering program - Mentor for ME^2 and incoming freshman students, recruiter
-Freshman action team - VP

Work experience in college
-Burger King
-Campus IT Department
-College of engineering: Responsible for recruitment, program logistics, training, staff meetings, and program budget for AT&T Engineering Summer Bridge Program and the Dean’s Leadership Council Engineering Tutor Program. Additionally, assisted Director and Assistant Director with day-to-day functions.
-Summer internships with Halliburton and Kimberly Clark

Volunteer in College
Freshman Year: Mayor’s Youth Leadership Institute, Edmond Memorial High School
Sophomore Year: Centers for Children and Families, Inc.
Junior Year: Centers for Children and Families, Inc., Northeast Academy High School
Senior Year: Medical Park West Rehabilitation
Volunteer service now
-Trails of Vernon County - Starter non-profit to get a biking community to help combat obesity
-Conversations for good - Coach/mentor students middle/high school in life skills, career paths, etc. Conduct webinars for various lessons
-E-STEAM - Developed summer enrichment curriculum for engineering aspiring students. Coach/mentor students middle/high school in life skills, career paths, etc. Conduct webinars for various lessons.

Clinical Experience
I am currently shadowing a DO and MD at my local hospital. I shadow for about 4hrs a week. I started in May of this year. For sure can get a recommendation from the DO I shadow. Will have to shadow and get to know the MD a little more.

I just want to know if there is any more I need to be doing in the mean time to be a great candidate for medical school. Since I now live and work in Missouri, this will be my state of residence by the time I apply for next cycle for MD/DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical volunteering: mandatory!

Get that sGPA a bit higher too.

I just want to know if there is any more I need to be doing in the mean time to be a great candidate for medical school. Since I now live and work in Missouri, this will be my state of residence by the time I apply for next cycle for MD/DO schools.

Clinical volunteering: mandatory!

Get that sGPA a bit higher too.

How many hours of shadowing is recommended?

I have a C in genetics, cell biology, and physics 2. I am not sure where I can retake those classes. I am 2 hrs away from KC. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any local CC or UG school. You don't need to repeat the coursework at the same school.

Most people shadow for up to 50 hrs. Some schools have stated minimums, so see what U MO, At Still, KCUMB, SLU, U OK etc have to say.

How many hours of shadowing is recommended?

I have a C in genetics, cell biology, and physics 2. I am not sure where I can retake those classes. I am 2 hrs away from KC. Any suggestions?

Any local CC or UG school. You don't need to repeat the coursework at the same school.

Most people shadow for up to 50 hrs. Some schools have stated minimums, so see what U MO, At Still, KCUMB, SLU, U OK etc have to say.

Another question... I work 45-55 hours per wk, studying for the mcat, starting up a non profit, and also shadowing. Do you recommend that I retake the classes and just postpone trying to enter next cycle? I do not have the time to fully commit to both studying for the MCAT and retaking those classes.

Do you have any clinical experience besides shadowing? If not you really need to do that. How many shadow hours do you have? If it's around 50 that should be enough. Start doing clinical
Stuff. You only want to apply once with the very best application possible. So if you can't get the clinical EC, retakes and studying for the MCAT done that's okay. Take your time and present your very best application the first time.

I strongly recommend applying with the best possible app, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

Make sure not to become overtaxed with activities!

Another question... I work 45-55 hours per wk, studying for the mcat, starting up a non profit, and also shadowing. Do you recommend that I retake the classes and just postpone trying to enter next cycle? I do not have the time to fully commit to both studying for the MCAT and retaking those classes.

Reactions: 1 user

Retaking C's is a perfectly fine strategy for DO programs.

I wouldn't advise it for MD. If you want to prove your chops for MD admission take upper level science classes you haven't taken before and ace them. Re-taking C's will prove nothing for MD ADCOMs.

Do you have any clinical experience besides shadowing? If not you really need to do that. How many shadow hours do you have? If it's around 50 that should be enough. Start doing clinical
Stuff. You only want to apply once with the very best application possible. So if you can't get the clinical EC, retakes and studying for the MCAT done that's okay. Take your time and present your very best application the first time.

I have about 40 hrs of shadowing right now. I shadow the same DO during his shifts in town and when I have extra time I shadow MD's that are available. In terms of "start doing clinical stuff", can you elaborate?

I have about 40 hrs of shadowing right now. I shadow the same DO during his shifts in town and when I have extra time I shadow MD's that are available. In terms of "start doing clinical stuff", can you elaborate?

Volunteer in a hospice or hospital or in some other form of clinical setting. Getting a job such as a nursing assistant or scribe would also do the trick quite well.

Reactions: 1 users