MD & DO 3.35 cGPA&sGPA and MCAT-?Chances for MSUCOM and Michigan Allopathic schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurality

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a pre-med senior at Michigan State University (will graduate in December after 4.5 years) with a 3.35 cumulative and similar science GPA. I am planning to take the MCAT as early as January of 2016 and applying through the Spring and Summer. I am primarily interested in osteopathic schools because of their philosophy but also want to apply to allopathic schools. I know that a 3.3 GPA is low but I am going to list certain factors surrounding this as well as my extracurriculars over the past 4 years. I have spoken to various admission advisors but it seems they usually say very similar things. I am trying to get input from other current and past medical students or anyone else who is involved in the admission process.

Academics:
-Failed inorganic chemistry and biology lab sophmore year due to family crises (2 last grandparent deaths in 1 year and was the caretaker and mediator for my younger sister over 2 years who was admitted 3 times for suicide attempts.)
-Upward trend in grades the past 1.5 years from 2.6 to 3.35
-4.0 GPA in Genetics, Human Anatomy, Physiology I&II, Immunology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Health Psychology, Inorganic Chem (retake)
-3.5 GPA in Virology, Organic Chemistry I, Physics I and Epidemiology
-Other classes include Statistics, Survey of Calculus, and the Physics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Biology labs required to graduate.

Extracurriculars:
-Volunteered in the ED for 3 semesters and inpatient for 1 semester
-Volunteered over 200 hours for the Red Cross over 2 years
-Shadowed outpatient DOs (1 in ED and 1 in outpatient exercise clinic) amounting to 50 hours (so far, more to accumulate)
-Work(ed) as a Medical Scribe in the ED for 6 months (will have 1.5 years by the time I apply)
-Member of Human Bio Club with volunteer commitments over 1.5 years
-Mission trip for 1 week to Mexico and again to the same place for 1 month the following year.
-100 hours various volunteer experience (animal shelters, food banks, blood drives)
-High school consisted of 4 years of football at private school with 40 hours communitry service
-New Add-Worked for telemarketing at MSU, cold calling and fundraising over $35,000 in 1 year for scholarships and other programs
This sums up about 90% of my resume, pending 4 letters of recommendation (a pool of 1 DO, 1 MD, a nurse anesthetist and a my genetics professor)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Generally schools want 2 science recs and 1 non-science rec although I don't know about the specifics for the schools you listed. DO sounds like the best bet but you could have a decent chance at MD depending on your score. Does your GPA average the two grades for chem/bio lab or completely replace it? Because allopathic schools average grades while osteopathic schools completely replace it.

I have not retaken the bio lab yet but the because the grade received was a 0.0 for chem, the 4.0 entirely replaced it, rather than averaging. Because I am science major and it was degree req, anything less than a 2.0 is considered a "fail." The school has a policy that if you receive a 2.0 or higher, you cannot retake the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE WITH MCAT SCORE... So I received a score of 503 for the exam in January. From what I've read, this puts me somewhere between a 40-55% chance at most DO programs and maybe 25-35% for MD, based on academics alone. Also, my GPA will be closer to a 3.4 for DO admissions based on the repeat classes overriding the failed classes. Any other ideas based on the rest of my resume?

Apply broadly for DO and you should be fine. From my understanding your stats are competative for MSUCOM, but apply to other schools

Thank you. I am also looking to apply to LECOM, Des Moines Osteopathic College, OU-HCOM, West Virginia SOM and PCOM. Have to look more into what constitutes "competitive" to these schools but I am definitely trying to stay as Midwest as possible.

You're fine for DO schools, lethal for MD, but at least try Oakland-B, Wayne State, Central MI and Western MI.

Thank you. I am also looking to apply to LECOM, Des Moines Osteopathic College, OU-HCOM, West Virginia SOM and PCOM. Have to look more into what constitutes "competitive" to these schools but I am definitely trying to stay as Midwest as possible.