3.355/25l

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psjeong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a senior Biochemistry major studying in State University of New York at Binghamton. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.355 and a major GPA of 3.1 with an MCAT score of 25L (Verbal 8, Physical Sciences 7, Biological Sciences 10). My grades didn't go below a B- except for "Biochemistry" which I got a D in (I'm taking it again this semester to show that I can do better). I don't have any research experience, but I do have quite a bit of extracurriculars having to do with student groups and playing in a band and whatnot. I also have a decent amount of volunteering experience at a hospice in Korea where I cared for cancer patients.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT again this summer (hopefully the June test at latest, so I can apply earlier for medical school in July with an improved score after a Kaplan course).

I want to leave the doors open to practice internationally, so (for me) an M.D. program might be better than a D.O. program from what I understand.

Right now I'm contemplating on whether I should apply for a post-bacc program for a masters degree beginning Fall 2010. I guess that it would benefit me in case that I do not get into medical school this year as an "Academic record enhancer." If I do get into medical school, however, I guess it would just be a good way to be somewhat more prepared for medical school in Fall 2011. Also, If I do go through with applying for both medical school and the masters program, I suppose I would need to go with a 1 year accelerated masters program to prevent having to drop out of a 2 year masters program in the case that I do get into medical school for Fall 2011.

I hope I've been making sense. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would be lucky to get DO....

and the Master will not help raise the low undergrad GPA.

Thank you for the input.

Would there be some sort of program to help raise the low undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm a senior Biochemistry major studying in State University of New York at Binghamton. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.355 and a major GPA of 3.1 with an MCAT score of 25L (Verbal 8, Physical Sciences 7, Biological Sciences 10). My grades didn't go below a B- except for "Biochemistry" which I got a D in (I'm taking it again this semester to show that I can do better). I don't have any research experience, but I do have quite a bit of extracurriculars having to do with student groups and playing in a band and whatnot. I also have a decent amount of volunteering experience at a hospice in Korea where I cared for cancer patients.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT again this summer (hopefully the June test at latest, so I can apply earlier for medical school in July with an improved score after a Kaplan course).

I want to leave the doors open to practice internationally, so (for me) an M.D. program might be better than a D.O. program from what I understand.

Right now I'm contemplating on whether I should apply for a post-bacc program for a masters degree beginning Fall 2010. I guess that it would benefit me in case that I do not get into medical school this year as an "Academic record enhancer." If I do get into medical school, however, I guess it would just be a good way to be somewhat more prepared for medical school in Fall 2011. Also, If I do go through with applying for both medical school and the masters program, I suppose I would need to go with a 1 year accelerated masters program to prevent having to drop out of a 2 year masters program in the case that I do get into medical school for Fall 2011.

I hope I've been making sense. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Go to the big 4 ( St Georges, ROSS, AUC, SABA) in the carib if you plan to do primary care.

Thank you for the input.

SMP. Special Masters Program. Look it up. (cuz embarassingly, other than the name, I have no idea what it really is... probably a masters with lots of coursework related to basic sciences... I guess. what difference from just doing more UG course? probably you start with a clean slate if u go on the SMP)

Thank you for the input.

taking a bunch of science courses n excelling in them accomplishes that..

Clinical experience, a high MCAT, medical research could all help.

If you graduate and take a year of full-time postbac classes , earning a 4.0 for ~30 credit hours, your cGPA would rise to 3.48. That, and a strong MCAT score of ~33+, a solid BCPM GPA with a steep upward trend, and beefed up activities might get you into an allopathic med school.

Alternatively, if you can get a decent MCAT score, say 30+, you could apply to SMPs (Special Masters Programs) which is an expensive audition to med school, where you compete with accepted med students to get top grades (say 3.5+). This is risky if you aren't an academic powerhouse, but if successful, it overrides your low undergrad GPA and gives you a decent chance at an MD school acceptance (but not a guarantee). You can read more about these programs and see where they are offered in SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum.

A traditional masters program is unlikely to help you. Further, you'd be expected to complete it before a med school would let you matriculate.

International volunteering should not stand alone on your application if you want to go to a US med school. You need US-based clinical experience and US physician shadowing. Also work on getting leadership or teaching experience. Having researh isn't essential, but when you have weak numbers you need as many supportive experiences as possible.

See the list of DO international practice rights, as maybe countries you wanted to practice on are there. You could save a lot of work and money by applying with your current stats (though the ECS still need some work in the clinical experience and shadowing categories):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107627

Thank you for the input.

formal Postbac or a SMP........

I would personally do an informal postbac like I did because it is less expensive but you are responsible for making sure what is going on because you dont have any advisor....but I never found them useful anyway except for their signature on my paper.

You can still get a chance at MD with a 3.5+ and a 33+ MCAT....just depends on how MD or DO means to you....

And work on the ECs........

I'd say you need to retake the mcat and a 30+. A 25 won't get you any love from most schools sorry.

I'd say you need to retake the mcat and a 30+. A 25 won't get you any love from most schools sorry.

This. Unless you are applying to the Caribbean or in Puerto Rico your MCAT score will defeat you outright at most schools. If you can get over 30 it will really help your chances.

You are also going to need some very solid clinical experience.

yeah it'd be best to retake mcat and predict from that if you want to take an smp

Don't give up 'cause I got in!! w/ MCAT of 25
I was in same situation...though 3.9 GPA and 1 yrs of research..fair EC
Honestly...i was rejected from all the MD schools I applied to but got 4 interviews from DO schools. I went to 2 of the interviews and got into 1 school. but hey..with this low MCAT score and such a great response...i think i am the only one who could really say "don't give up"
Even if you want to be like a neurosurgeon you can become one from a DO school. At last I would say that MD=DO even for the neurosurgeon...