MD & DO 3.36, 518 My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawi609

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some opinions on my chances and where to apply I know that my gpa's aren't the best but I will be submitting apps today. I am also a texas resident. I have 1 D in a history class that killed my cGPA :(
cGPA 3.45 sGPA 3.36 MCAT 518 LizzyM 70.5
EC's 3k emt experience, I have letters from DO, MD and DPM. I have 3 months of volunteering at a children's hospital. I also have very weak research experience not sure if that will help me. Any info will be greatly thanked

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to receive some interviews from Texas MD schools. If you are applying this year you need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries as soon as possible. You are competitive for any DO school so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews.

You are on the wrong end of the gpa-mcat distribution that Texas has shown to favor. Only 12% of TX MD matriculants had a <3.51 while 64% had a 31 or less on the mcat which is a strongly skewed distribution.

That said apply to all your TX schools and see what happens. That MCAT will get attention it's just hard to say in success how this type of app will fair. Certainly still possible though to have a successful cycle. If MD is your end goal consider an SMp if you are shut out this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will also be applying to 20+ DO schools including the two in texas think I have a reasonable shot?

I will also be applying to 20+ DO schools including the two in texas think I have a reasonable shot?

Just apply to the DO schools you want to go to because you will probably get II go most schools you apply to

You shouldn't have trouble garnering some interviews this cycle, granted the other aspects of your application check in (strong LORs, thoughtful essays, non-clinical volunteering). Apps with the low GPA/high MCAT split tend to end up with across a spectrum of schools (i.e. apply broadly). TX residents will have a disadvantage applying out of state, [EDIT] an OOS school list may not be helpful

Check out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/calling-those-with-high-mcat-low-gpa.1204293/ for some ideas

Last edited: