basolateral

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
my low gpa is explained by problems i faced during two semesters of undergrad, other than which my gpa has always been in the 3.5-3.8 range.
so i figured i'd at least get a chance to explain myself and have a shot at a u.s. allopathic med school with a good mcat...
but i ended up getting 30Q.
a lot of people would say that's not TOO bad, but with my gpa it IS 'too bad'.

-~200 hrs volunteering/shadowing for pediatrician
-~80 hrs volunteering in med/surg
-~400 hrs of research in psychology
-captain of school's mixed-dance team for 1 yr
-secretary of computer science society
-number of community/global services (homeless shelters, raising awareness for darfur, registering students to vote, etc)
-member of a number of campus-based organizations
-deans list every semester except for the two semesters which are responsible for my low gpa
-worked full time for about 8 months in a fitness center
-worked part time for about 9 months in an ice cream store as assistant manager

how well (or bad, i should say) are my chances at schools like:
suny downstate
suny stony brook
nymc
albany
temple
jefferson
u. buffalo
GWU
(not listed in any order of preference)

any comments are appreciated!

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
I'm sorry to say that I agree with your self assessment. I don't think you have a realistic chance at those schools with your current stats.

OP
basolateral

basolateral

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
9, 11, and 10 (vr, ps, bs, respectively).

Last edited:
OP
basolateral

basolateral

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
I'm sorry to say that I agree with your self assessment. I don't think you have a realistic chance at those schools with your current stats.
that's just plain disheartening to hear, even though i half expected it.
i appreciate the straight-forwardness. i'll still give it my best shot; can't let a few numbers sway me from my course.

if anything, theres always dental school.
J/K!

danny317

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
a 30q is good. the mcat isnt your problem. its your gpa. unfortunately, you may be screened out early in the process.

if you have a lot of B's and C's in your science classes, you may consider retaking them to get A's. depending on how many hours you have, it could boost your gpa a bit.

if not, you may want to consider applying to DO schools. you may have a shot at the schools you listed but you have to consider that applicants higher on the totem pole are using these schools as safeties...

good luck!

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
If the schools looked at your application long enough to see your upward trend in cGPA, you might be OK, but that low BCPM GPA will be hard for them to get past.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
that's just plain disheartening to hear, even though i half expected it.
i appreciate the straight-forwardness. i'll still give it my best shot; can't let a few numbers sway me from my course.

if anything, theres always dental school.
J/K!
You heard the truth. It is extremely unlikely you will be accepted in this cycle, so don't waste your first application. If MD is where your heart is, then you need to spend the year doing an SMP to establish yourself as a capable student. With an excellent SMP (3.75+), your 30 MCAT will stand, and you will get into an MD school.

Alternatively, consider DO schools as your Plan B, before dental school. At least this way, you can still practice medicine. If you spend the year doing postbac (as opposed to SMP) retaking all the classes from your 2 crappy semesters, you can significantly boost your GPA. This is because the DO school application system (AACOMAS) only computes your most recent grade in a given class into your GPA, allowing you to "raise" your GPA much quicker than in the MD system (AMCAS - which just averages both grades).

OP
basolateral

basolateral

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
You heard the truth. It is extremely unlikely you will be accepted in this cycle, so don't waste your first application. If MD is where your heart is, then you need to spend the year doing an SMP to establish yourself as a capable student. With an excellent SMP (3.75+), your 30 MCAT will stand, and you will get into an MD school.

Alternatively, consider DO schools as your Plan B, before dental school. At least this way, you can still practice medicine. If you spend the year doing postbac (as opposed to SMP) retaking all the classes from your 2 crappy semesters, you can significantly boost your GPA. This is because the DO school application system (AACOMAS) only computes your most recent grade in a given class into your GPA, allowing you to "raise" your GPA much quicker than in the MD system (AMCAS - which just averages both grades).
i mentioned dental school for the sake of humor (no offense to pre-dental sdners)!
thanks for the advice; but i'm sure if i were to go for D.O. (which i am not, for personal reasons i'd really prefer not to disclose), then my current stats would render me a reasonable applicant. not stellar, but reasonable.

but im choosing to go towards m.d., and will attempt this cycle despite all the odds which are stacked up against me. waiting an extra year is not an option (again, for personal reasons). i highly believe this first mcat was a fluke because 1) I caught a sinus infection 2 days prior to the test, and took it with a mild fever, and 2) it's a bit difficult to focus when you have streams of your own specimen running down your nose the entire time lol.

as foolish as many of you might find this, re-taking and going through with the application cycle is the plan. hopefully i will be given a chance to testify that these numbers are not a good reflection of my academic esteem.
i sincerely appreciate all the input from you guys, thanks.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
but im choosing to go towards m.d., and will attempt this cycle despite all the odds which are stacked up against me. waiting an extra year is not an option (again, for personal reasons). i highly believe this first mcat was a fluke because 1) I caught a sinus infection 2 days prior to the test, and took it with a mild fever, and 2) it's a bit difficult to focus when you have streams of your own specimen running down your nose the entire time lol.

as foolish as many of you might find this, re-taking and going through with the application cycle is the plan. hopefully i will be given a chance to testify that these numbers are not a good reflection of my academic esteem.
i sincerely appreciate all the input from you guys, thanks.
Good luck! I do hope you get in - do let us know!

By the way:

2) it's a bit difficult to focus when you have streams of your own specimen running down your nose the entire time lol.
Grosssssss lol :barf:

Jun 21, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Can anyone give me a good explanation of why OP should not apply if according to AAMCs own stats he stands about a 33% chance of acceptance? How is that not worth at least giving it a shot if medicine is what you want to do

OP
basolateral

basolateral

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
Can anyone give me a good explanation of why OP should not apply if according to AAMCs own stats he stands about a 33% chance of acceptance? How is that not worth at least giving it a shot if medicine is what you want to do
that's actually an excellent point (and, according to aamc, it's actually around 46%). i'm sure the previous posters took into account my extracurricular/volunteer/research experience (which the data on aamc does not); and judged them based on SDN standards of what makes a good applicant.
but yes, 46% is still a significant chance (and can even be increased if I can manage to present myself as a prospective med. student the best I possibly can to med. schools), and a good enough reason for me to apply this application cycle and continue moving forward in my career in medicine.

... so apparently I have my mind set on what I'm going to do, and don't understand why I continue to visit this page nevertheless lol.

D

DRIN

if not, you may want to consider applying to DO schools. you may have a shot at the schools you listed but you have to consider that applicants higher on the totem pole are using these schools as safeties...
Why is this the common advice offered as a result of someone having a low GPA or MCAT? I realize these are important numbers in the process, but they're not all that matter. If you don't want to be a DO, don't just apply to use it as a way to get into medical school.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Why is this the common advice offered as a result of someone having a low GPA or MCAT? I realize these are important numbers in the process, but they're not all that matter. If you don't want to be a DO, don't just apply to use it as a way to get into medical school.
DO is offered as an alternative path, simply because many students never consider it. No one is making anyone do anything, but if time is a factor and someone wants to get into med school soon, DO is often the faster route.