3.38 bcpm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm graduating in 2 weeks. And I have no plans. I haven't taken MCATs but my ultimate goal is MD.

gpa: 3.38 in a BS Chemistry from a top 40 school
lots of volunteer experience
limited clinical experience
lots of research experience:
2 paper publications, 2 poster publications (1 is from an undergrad conference), 1 undergrad journal article publication

here are some options:
1) do a 1 year masters in chem in a field i don't like (the labs i wanted to work with are full)
2) study for mcats and find a clinical job (but the economy sucks)
3) I don't know??? Join Peace Corps

I am considering international programs for american students (the ones that are affiliated with american schools) but not in the caribbean.

Any advice for what I should do?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You could consider staying in school another year to raise your GPA, while gaining volunteer clinical experience and shadowing (and maybe leadership and teaching). Or consider a job with Americorps, where I understand that clinical jobs are available, though I'm not sure if it's too late to apply now. A traditional masters will have little impact on whether you get into med school, as adcomms generally judge you by undergrad GPA. Also, study for the MCAT aiming for a 34+ to compensate for your GPA at allopathic med schools, or for a 27+ for osteopathic med schools.

Can I take classes at a local school? I'm from CA but i go to school in NY, and I would prefer to live at home. Would the grades carry the same weight?

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you attend a four-year school, I doubt any eyebrows will be raised. And if finances and scheduling are a major issue, you'd be justified in taking classes at a community college. The important thing is to take upper-level science classes to raise the cGPA and BCMP or SGPA, getting straight As, because even one B grade sets back your GPA repair. If you got below a C+ in any prerequisite, consider retaking it.

B/c I am a BS in Chem I've taken a large number of science classes. my low grades are in intro neurobiology (C), and I have a B- in quantum chemistry and inorganic chemistry (I was distracted that semester). Other than that my grades are fine.