DO 3.38 cGPA 3.36 sGPA MCAT: 506 wamc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taobibebi

taobibebi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Years in school: 5th year, graduating in June.

Residence: CA

Ethnicity: Asian

Undergraduate school: one of the UC schools

Schools to which you're applying: Western U- COMP, TouroCOM-NY, TUCOM-CA, RVUCOM, CCOM-MWU, AZCOM-MWU, DMU-COM, NSU-COM, LECOM, KCUMB-COM, ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, TUNCOM., LMU-DCOM.

cGPA: 3.38

sGPA: 3.36

MCAT: 506 126/126/127/127

Research: 1 year of clinical public health research. No publication; 3 months of basic science research. No publication

Volunteer (Clinical): 1 year volunteering at a clinic as a translator (100 hours).

Physician shadowing: Shadowed a Sport Medicine DO for 20 hours (he will write me a letter)

Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteer at the senior center for a year.

Extracurricular: Alumni chair for my fraternity (2 years and a half).

Employment history: one year as research consultant for my clinical public health research

Unique Experiences: Immigrated to the US 5 years ago, financially disadvantaged, first in family to go to college, first in family to enter health field.

Please let know if I have a chance at any of the listed DO schools above. If not, how can I improve my chances? Also do I have a chance at any MD schools? Thanks you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive an interview at any of those DO schools. You chances for a MD acceptance are low, mainly because of your stats and the disadvantage of being a CA resident. Concentrate on your DO application. You also need more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours.

Thanks you. I will focus on my DO application. I'm gonna try to shadow a family doc and an emergency doc. How many more clinical hours do you think I need? I only have a few months left before I apply so I don't know if I can do much. Also do I have any chance of acceptance at any the above schools?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you. I will focus on my DO application. I'm gonna try to shadow a family doc and an emergency doc. How many more clinical hours do you think I need? I only have a few months left before I apply so I don't know if I can do much. Also do I have any chance of acceptance at any the above schools?
Add another 80 hours of shadowing and another 50 hours of clinical volunteering and that should be sufficient. You could be interviewed at any of those schools but it is not possible to predict which schools will offer an interview.

Your stats will give you a shot at the schools on your list.. but you need more clinical experience and shadowing.

Concur with the above poster, ~100 hours of shadowing is a good target.. And clinical experience is extremely important. Try looking for a job as a CNA, scribe, nurse tech, anything in the hospital setting that you can get some patient contact to accumulate hours until you apply.

I'd bet on you landing interviews after you log more shadowing and clinical experience.

Thanks you for your reply. I will try to find more shadowing opportunities.