3.38 gpa 34 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasHopeful77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker here. Let me know if you think I have a shot:

My cum GPA is 3.38 sgpa ~3.25, with a really strong upward trend (4.0 over the last 60 hours, including a post-bacc). I took the MCAT twice, the first time I got a 27S, the second time I managed a 34R (10, 12, 12)

My ECs are pretty average I expect:
~150 hours volunteering at a children's hospital over the course of one year.
~75 hours shadowing in the ER
~100 hours shadowing a pediatric neurosurgeon
Paid summer research position in a microbiology lab (not really a meaningful position)
Worked for 2 years as a lab tech in microbiology, as a "lead tech" the last year
Member of a couple clubs on and off, no substantial roles though - mostly a couple of random volunteer events
~40 hours volunteering in a hospice
~25 hours tutoring young children in math and science

My LORs should be decent, 2 from MD science faculty and 1 from a non-science pHD.

I am also a Texas resident, and ideally, I'd like to stay in Texas though I am considering applying to some out of state DO schools as a backup.

My main concern is the GPA, I had a really awful start, I had something like a 1.8 my first semester and consistently made between 2.0-3.0 until my junior year. No real excuses, just maturity issues and lack of direction.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're in ok shape. Remember that Texas is one of the best states for IS applicants. Your GPA is just alright but your MCAT speaks well to your ability to handle difficult material. Aside from your lead tech gig do you have any leadership experience? Were you directly involved in doing any first hand hypothesis based research? I consider that to be more important than just being in a lab setting.