3.39 cGPA/sGPA; MCAT in September.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coriolis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chemistry major. Been studying this entire summer for the MCAT, and I'm scoring 35-38 consistently on my practice exams. I'm scheduled for September.

Undergrad GPA had been in solid 3.55 range, but I received a flurry of C's and D's this past year (senioritis?). I graduated, so I'm spending this year off working at a doctor's office and doing lab research.

I'm primarily interested in US MD schools, particularly in New York. I understand my GPA is well below what they are looking for. I'm still interested in what my chances may be, granted I do well on the MCAT.

More information will be given if requested, and suggestions as to what else to do this year will be welcomed.

Thank you.

Edit: I should also note that I will be applying early next year (at latest), and that I am a NYS resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you already submitted AMCAS primary? If not, I might consider waiting until next cycle. Applying so late will really hurt your chances and your GPA is at the lower end of the spectrum.

Goodluck on the MCAT

Have you already submitted AMCAS primary? If not, I might consider waiting until next cycle. Applying so late will really hurt your chances and your GPA is at the lower end of the spectrum.

Goodluck on the MCAT

I plan on applying next cycle. Early for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on applying next cycle. Early for sure.

are you special in any way to make up for your GPA? leadership, shadowing, research credentials, etc.?

edit: if you're not special in any way then your GPA could certainly be a dealbreaker at majority of MD programs IMO.

are you special in any way to make up for your GPA? leadership, shadowing, research credentials, etc.?

edit: if you're not special in any way then your GPA could certainly be a dealbreaker at majority of MD programs IMO.

I'm expecting good LOR's from the doctors I work for. I'm going to see if I can get a publication from my research PI (he has mentioned this before, but I've been too busy with MCAT to follow up on it). Other than that, I haven't done enough research yet to stand out in that regard. I am also applying to Teach For America this year, and if I get in, I will be teaching for two years which will be an incredible experience.

Other than that, I have thought of taking maybe two more courses this Fall to bring my GPA up to the low 3.4's. If I must, I will push my MCAT back to early 2011 to ensure that I am ready.

Applying with a downward grade trend is never a good idea. Besides killing the MCAT, I think it would help you to take upper-level sciences classes (as an unofficial postbac program)this next year, getting straight As, to reassure adcomms that you can produce great grades and do well in their science-intense curriculum. That your undergrad BCPM GPA will be raised in the process is a secondary benefit.