Quantcast

3.39cGPA, 3.28sGPA, 32 MCAT - Any chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibsonflip

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi !

Stats
cGPA: 3.39
sGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 32
Shadowing: 50 hours internal medicine. I really shadowed a 3rd year medical student from UNECOM
Research: 3 years research in undergraduate chemistry lab
Volunteer: About 50 hours of volunteering with the Florida DOH
Work: 2 semesters as TA for gen chem, 2 semesters as TA for orgo

I plan on only applying to DO schools. I really would like to go to UNECOM (one of my letters of rec is from a doctor who is a professor there - how much will this help, if any?). I am aware that my volunteering is a bit skimpy and for that reason this summer I will be volunteering (nearly) full time at a hospital. In addition, I will be doing hospice.

My questions:

-Should I apply for any MD schools? Do I even have a chance?
-When should I apply? Should I wait until after a couple months of full-time volunteering or would it be more advantageous to apply on June 1st when applications open?
-What DO schools should I apply to other than UNECOM?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Last edited:

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chances are pretty good to get into a DO school, moderate to good to get into UNECOM if you apply early. Your GPA is low and ECs are weak, but your MCAT is excellent. UNECOM is very big on who you know (you have a professor LOR), and doubly big on taking Maine residents (I'm assuming you are if you got a UNECOM professor LOR). If you currently live in Maine, I give you excellent odds.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have enough volunteer hrs to be really competitive. No clinical volunteering? Your numbers are too low for MD schools, but fine for any DO program, including mine. Apply with the best possible app, even if it means waiting a year. The DO cycle is longer, and so you'd be fine with six months of extra ECs, and applying by end of year.

UNECOM has a regional bias. Are you from New England?

I plan on only applying to DO schools. I really would like to go to UNECOM (one of my letters of rec is from a doctor who is a professor there - how much will this help, if any?). I am aware that my volunteering is a bit skimpy and for that reason this summer I will be volunteering (nearly) full time at a hospital. In addition, I will be doing hospice.

My questions:

-Should I apply for any MD schools? Do I even have a chance?
-When should I apply? Should I wait until after a couple months of full-time volunteering or would it be more advantageous to apply on June 1st when applications open?
-What DO schools should I apply to other than UNECOM?

Thank you so much in advance!![/QUOTE]

gibsonflip

Reaction score
I'm from New Hampshire. So doing a few months of volunteering and then applying is better than applying on the first day with my current volunteering?