3.3cGPA, 3.76sGPA 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitty27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm a non-trad with a Canadian B. Arch., came out of that with a 3.18 GPA as calculated by AMCAS. Went back to school in Colorado at UC and basically finished a second degree in biology. All science and math courses (with two comps in there) as an a la carte post bacc.
My cGPA is crap since I had to overcome 124 hours worth of 3.18, so it's 3.32
My sGPA is pretty strong, all except 2 courses from post-bacc at 3.76
My post-bacc GPA is 3.79
MCAT is 33S
ECs include:
2 years at a local animal shelter (~250 hours)
2 years in the ED at a hospital (~300 hours)
1.5 years as a general biology TA
1 year research/lab work
General employment
Strong LORs/committee letters

I would like to stay in Colorado but I do plan to apply broadly... what do you think my chances are with that low cGPA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Because I think someone is going to ask you, so we may as well get the question out of the way:

Are you saying you're from Canada? In which case, are you still a Canadian citizen?

I really don't have the kind of useful advice that others can give you, but they'll probably want to know that in order to give you more accurate advice.

Oop I should clarify that yes.
I am a Canadian citizen, but I'm a legal permanent resident in the USA. I pay in state tuition in Colorado and all that jazz. I married an American boy and moved here 5 years ago, working as an architect for 4 of them.
My first degree is from a Canadian university and all my prerequisites will be from university of Colorado.
Hope that helps a bit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm a non-trad with a Canadian B. Arch., came out of that with a 3.18 GPA as calculated by AMCAS. Went back to school in Colorado at UC and basically finished a second degree in biology. All science and math courses (with two comps in there) as an a la carte post bacc.
My cGPA is crap since I had to overcome 124 hours worth of 3.18, so it's 3.32
My sGPA is pretty strong, all except 2 courses from post-bacc at 3.76
My post-bacc GPA is 3.79
MCAT is 33S
ECs include:
2 years at a local animal shelter (~250 hours)
2 years in the ED at a hospital (~300 hours)
1.5 years as a general biology TA
1 year research/lab work
General employment
Strong LORs/committee letters

I would like to stay in Colorado but I do plan to apply broadly... what do you think my chances are with that low cGPA?

Thanks!
Due to your high BCPM GPA, consistent excellent recent academics, and nontrad status, I think your chances will be much better than the statistical odds for All Applicants with a 3.32/33 of ~49%. I don't know how Colorado does it, but there are other schools that give more weight to recent academics. I'm glad you plan to apply widely, as most schools don't advertise their "formula".

In past years UColorado published an requirement of 500 hours of clinical experience. The new dean hasn't stated his policy, but I've read here on SDN that it's still high. You might want to clarify that with a phone call. I hope you have some physician shadowing; possibly those hours are included in their expectation.

[@Scalpels: thanks]

Eep, 500 hours clinical eh? I fall a bit short of the mark on that. I can try and squeeze more in over the next couple of months before I apply.
I do have shadowing but it's minimal by comparison. 40 hours in family medicine only.
Good to know the crummy cGPA won't be an enormous hindrance to all schools though, thank you!

500 hours clinical eh? I fall a bit short of the mark on that. I can try and squeeze more in over the next couple of months before I apply.
Don't do anything until you call and ask. You could also read through this season's School Specific UC thread (accessable from PreMedAllo) and see if there is definitive information there.

I am not an admissions committee, and this is my advice.

Boost up your clinical hours and call the admissions to ask about your chances.
Also, try to think about other schools too.
See my MDapps, we have some similarities that you might find useful to think about.