3.3GPA, 32MCAT Very Interesting Story, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjbut12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My brother recently graduated from a tier 1 liberal arts college in the northeast. He has a 3.5 science GPA and 32MCAT and a 3.3Gpa overall, however, he had an extremely bad sophomore semester finishing with a 2.1 gpa. The reason for this was due to our mother dying and him battling prescription pill addictions. Since that semester he has been clean for 2 years and has excelled in school. Will this be detrimental to his chances at being accepted?

Major: Political Science/Education

Clubs/activities: Volunteers twice a week at soup kitchen, two times a week as an after school tutor, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Red cross volunteer

Med. Exposure: 100+ hours of shadowing

Sports: Varsity Football, 4x letter-winner, Conference Honor Roll 4x, 2nd team AP-All-American

Other: Spent an entire summer in Kenya teaching English.

Languages: fluent in Swahili

Members don't see this ad.

While I can relate to your loss (my mother died while I was in hs), and I had another serious family issue of equal magnitude during my college years--I would be incredibly apprehensive about talking about a substance addiction. If he were to emphasize a serious emotional impact, that would be one thing. Though prescription abuse is a pretty serious offense in medicine. If he can spin it, then maybe... but risky.

other than that, while his GPA is on the low end--I think he is alright if he has an upward trend.

I wouldn't mention prescription pill addiction under any circumstances. Unless there was a possession offense or crime listed anywhere that needs explanation.

Otherwise stats are fine and a dying family member is adequat explanation or a poor semester.

It's a concern for me. What's more problematic will be the 3.3 cGPA. That's not competetive for MD programs, but OK for DO ones.

STRONGLY suggest that your brother chat with admissions deans (and a psychaitrist) about how his addiction would affect admissions.

My brother recently graduated from a tier 1 liberal arts college in the northeast. He has a 3.5 science GPA and 32MCAT and a 3.3Gpa overall, however, he had an extremely bad sophomore semester finishing with a 2.1 gpa. The reason for this was due to our mother dying and him battling prescription pill addictions. Since that semester he has been clean for 2 years and has excelled in school. Will this be detrimental to his chances at being accepted?

Major: Political Science/Education

Clubs/activities: Volunteers twice a week at soup kitchen, two times a week as an after school tutor, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Red cross volunteer

Med. Exposure: 100+ hours of shadowing

Sports: Varsity Football, 4x letter-winner, Conference Honor Roll 4x, 2nd team AP-All-American

Other: Spent an entire summer in Kenya teaching English.

Languages: fluent in Swahili