MD 3.4, 3.6, GPA. Non-trad, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sed8&Intub8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time applying. I have no shadowing experience, any idea how much this will hurt me? Would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

-Non-trad student (27 years old)
-3.4 cumulative undergrad, 3.0 undergrad science GPA (dual degrees one BS one BA)
-3.6 GPA for Masters in microbiology
-Will take MCAT on July 2nd, averaging 32-34 on practice exams.
-1st author paper and 2nd author paper both in impact level 4+ journals and also oral presentations
-2000+ volunteer hours of EMS experience, also 50 hours volunteering in hospital
-800+ volunteer hours for community service (big brother, feeding homeless, Special Olympics)
-Starting as an ER scribe soon

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, it will hurt you at most schools.

Get shadowing ASAP. Regardless of your EMS experience you need to have at least shadowed 1 physician (20+ hrs at least).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I'll work on getting that. I often stayed at the hospital after calls for an hour or two to see what the hospital and staff end up doing and diagnosing my patients with. It's usually the same doctor, I think he will be OK with me shadowing him.

Any other input on what I can improve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cold call doctors if you have to. Having zero shadowing will hurt a lot, as schools will wonder just how much you know about what actually being a doctor entails. It's one of those things you have no excuse not to do. 20-30 hours will be plenty for you.

ECs look great. I'm assuming your cumulative sGPA is higher if you factor in your MS. Doing well on the MCAT will help you from the academic perspective. Good luck on the 2nd!

Your cGPA is 3.0, you haven't taken the MCAT, and you have no shadowing? Not looking great.

No, my undergrad cGPA is 3.4, my undergrad sGPA is 3.0, my graduate GPA with 44 credits of science classes is 3.6. Then there was also 20 credits of research credits, but that doesn't count.

Cold call doctors if you have to. Having zero shadowing will hurt a lot, as schools will wonder just how much you know about what actually being a doctor entails. It's one of those things you have no excuse not to do. 20-30 hours will be plenty for you.

ECs look great. I'm assuming your cumulative sGPA is higher if you factor in your MS. Doing well on the MCAT will help you from the academic perspective. Good luck on the 2nd!

I worked out my sGPA with my graduate classes and it comes out to 3.25