3.4/505/PA/Caucasian. WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittpanther83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

Wanted to see what my chances are for the upcoming 2022 application cycle. I am a reapplicant from the 2017 cycle, and have been working diligently to improve my application. See below my information:

Residence: PA
Undergraduate: Public School in PA, Neuroscience major chemistry/linguistics minor graduated in 2016
Race: White
From medically underserved rural area, not sure if that matters

Below are my stats the first time I applied:
cGPA: 3.4 -> upward trend (3.5, 3.5, 3.9, 3.8)
sGPA: 3.3 -> steep upward trend (2.6, 3.0, 3.6, 3.7)
MCAT: 503, 505
Solid letters of recommendation (2 science, 1 non-science, 1 from PI, 1 from physician, 1 from hockey coach)
Research Experience: 1500 hours of concussion research, no presentations or publications
Non-clinical volunteering: 300hrs focused on improving education disparities for children in low SES communities
Clinical Volunteering: 160hrs at a cancer clinic to help patients navigate the hospital, serve lunches to patients in treatment rooms, and provide for basic needs (food, drink, sheets, transportations, etc)
Shadowing: 40hrs with PCP and Anesthesiologist
TA for science classes (human physiology and biology 1) and freshman introduction course
Other: collegiate hockey player, high school hockey JV assistant coach (two years of volunteering, one year of pay), fast-food worker and fraternity member in college
Awards: Award for modeling success in the face of challenges by one of the above organizations, academic all-american 2x years.

I applied with the above information to lower-tier MD and DO schools. I received one interview from a DO school late in the cycle and ended up being rejected. Below is the work that I've completed since that rejection:

-Completed a post-bac program of 32 credits consisting of psychology/upper level courses. Finished with a 3.9 GPA to bring me to a cGPA of 3.6 and sGPA of 3.5
-Featured on 3 manuscripts, one of which I am a first author on. Presented my research in poster form at a university conference
-Started a new job as a patient care technician in a psychiatric hospital. I do everything from vitals, ADL care, patient observations, and restraints of adolescent and adult patients with depression, schizophrenia, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, autism, substance abuse, dementia you name it. Super awesome experience so far and will have about 500hrs by the time I apply.
-Continued coaching throughout my work, ended up becoming the JV head coach and played an assistant role on the varsity team (paid work)
-Mostly new recommendation letters, all new academic letters
-Will be able to submit day 1 of application cycle (as opposed to July from the previous time I applied)
-Since my MCAT score expired, I had to retake on May 15th. My practice score average was a 509, but lets assume I received a 508 on the test. C/P was absolutely brutal but other three sections were manageable.

Assuming the above statistics and new experiences, were should I be targeting for schools? Is low-tier MD in my wheelhouse? Completely open to DO. Thanks for the help in advance SDN!!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you will be competitive for some DO schools. Post your actual score here when available.

Reactions: 1 user
hey all, so I just received a 509 on the MCAT. What schools should I be targeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all, so I just received a 509 on the MCAT. What schools should I be targeting?
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Commonwealth Geisinger
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
For DO schools I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UNECOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Commonwealth Geisinger
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
For DO schools I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UNECOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
UIWSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
Thanks Faha.

Do you know what is considered a "tie" to a region or state? My brother currently lives in the twin cities and I have visited often over the last 5-8 years. Would that be enough for me to apply to Minnesota schools within my stats?

Thanks Faha.

Do you know what is considered a "tie" to a region or state? My brother currently lives in the twin cities and I have visited often over the last 5-8 years. Would that be enough for me to apply to Minnesota schools within my stats?
No. A tie would be if you attended an undergraduate school in the state or grew up there and graduated from high school in the state.