3.4 cGPA 3.3 sGPA 33N MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cstaud1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some opinions on my current status, if anyone would be so kind.

I did poorly in my early college, and ended up with mostly B /B-in all classes, middle of sophomore year I changed my attitude and started getting As, transferred schools, and really reorganized, but I wonder, was I too late?

33N MCAT
3.4 cGPA 3.3 sGPA

I'm also worried about my ECs, I spent most of my time working flipping burgers and feel I neglected opportunities. I have 150+ hours shadowing physicians, but not much else. I earned an EMT license my freshman year, but never used it due to the job market (needed a job to pay rent, etc, and volunteering as a medical professional was out of the question in the small town I was in). After transferring to a major city, my license had lapsed, so I feel that effort was for naught.

Sorry for the lengthy message, any opinions on my situations would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're on the right track, albeit a little shaky. Work on your weak areas more before applying for the best chance.

1) EC's - more medically related volunteer work is needed. Can you reinstate your EMT license? If absolutely not, don't sweat it. Just find something else.
2) GPA of 3.3/3.4 is a bit on the low end, but if you've shown an upward trend, you should be fine. You might consider getting more A's in upper-div sciences, just to put adcoms minds at ease.
3) MCAT of 33 is solid enough. (What's with the low writing score though?)

Keep at it!:thumbup:

Agreed with the above poster. You didn't give info about your timeline (are you graduated? When were you planning on applying?) But you need to get some EC's under your belt before applying. Based on percentages of successful applicants, prioritize clinical volunteering first, research second, and then nonmedical volunteering. Ideally, you'd have something for all three since your GPA is low.

Also, why not apply DO too? Your GPA is more competitive there, although you'll still need to work on your ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies about the timeline, I am applying next cycle, not graduated, but entering senior year (a bit off track due to the school change). Would anyone suggest re-taking the MCAT to improve the writing score? As for DO schools, I have had alot of mixed opinions on the subject, many of the physicians I see as mentors (all MDs) say no way, but many of my instructors, classmates and med students I have spoken too respond with a resounding 'meh'. The way I see it, there is not too much difference between the two, other than extra training for DOs in holistic medicine and osteopathy.

Would anyone suggest re-taking the MCAT to improve the writing score?

No, don't do that. Just write well for your applications.

The way I see it, there is not too much difference between the two, other than extra training for DOs in holistic medicine and osteopathy.

MD or DO is up to you. There's a slight difference in competitiveness, overall philosophy, and career 'prognosis', if you will. If you're cool with all that, then apply to both.

In past application cycles a 3.4/33 gave All Applicants a 56% chance of an MD acceptance. If you can raise that to a 3.5 in the next year, your chances rise to 64% (assuming usual ECs, well-written PS, strong LORs, and good interview skills.

I agree you should not retake the MCAT as US schools don't much regard the writing score the way that Canadian schools do.