3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 35 MCAT, Economically Disadvantaged - Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate advice on what schools to apply to. I would greatly appreciate any type of feedback with schools that I would have somewhat of a shot at!

What schools would you say I might have a shot at? Any mid-tier or top-tier schools I might possibly have a shot at? (I am willing to apply to as many schools as I can possibly afford)

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Surgeon45

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could remove Wright State, Indiana, Rutgers, Iowa, Wayne State, Louisville, Illinois, UNC, UMass and Wisconsin since those schools give a strong preference to their own state residents. You could add
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton

Thank you @Faha !

So far, I have these 20 out-of-state schools:
- Commonwealth Medical College
- Temple
- Tulane
- Virginia Commonwealth
- Florida International
- Wake Forest
- Tufts
- Jefferson
- Oakland
- Loyola
- Boston
- Drexel
- MCW
- Warren Alpert
- Vermont
- Quinnipiac
- Western Michigan
- Rosalind Franklin
- St. Louis
- Creighton

I'm hoping this list comes down to 10 schools, if possible! Are there any that you guys would take off this list?
Any other schools I should consider?
Any mid-tier or high-tier (I know that's a far reach) that I might possibly have a shot at???

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see no reason to cut your OOS list any more. Your GPA is somewhat low so applying to more schools will increase your chances for an interview and eventual acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree 100% with Faha, but suggest removing FIU, as they have a very low rate of offering IIs to OOS.
Delete Brown as well; they highly favor their own grads.
Delete BU and U VM as well; their median GPA is 3.8, and your GPAs are < their 10th %ile.

Suggest adding UNECOM, Touro-NY, NYITCOM and PCOM to your list

Thank you @Faha !

So far, I have these 20 out-of-state schools:
- Commonwealth Medical College
- Temple
- Tulane
- Virginia Commonwealth
- Florida International
- Wake Forest
- Tufts
- Jefferson
- Oakland
- Loyola
- Boston
- Drexel
- MCW
- Warren Alpert
- Vermont
- Quinnipiac
- Western Michigan
- Rosalind Franklin
- St. Louis
- Creighton

I'm hoping this list comes down to 10 schools, if possible! Are there any that you guys would take off this list?
Any other schools I should consider?
Any mid-tier or high-tier (I know that's a far reach) that I might possibly have a shot at???

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @Faha and @Goro for your responses! Very much appreciated.

@gyngyn why do you say this? the GPA or because it's too early at this stage to decide a specialty?

@gyngyn why do you say this? the GPA or because it's too early at this stage to decide a specialty?
There are usually Student Affairs Deans involved in the admissions process.
A student's pre-conceived idea that his success is predicated on a fairly unlikely outcome is something they deal with all the time.
I'm pretty sure they'd rather limit that situation as much as possible, even if it is not conscious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commonwealth typically accepts central-NE population of PA, I thought, or at least mostly IS

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm from PA and was told that's their application sway (they want people to stay and practice in central PA)

@Grace184 it does seem Commonwealth accepts much more IS and very tiny % of OOS students, according to MSAR.

That's what I thought... Yeah, they like 'em from PA and like to try to keep them there. With all the big schools in philly they needs MDs to work and stay in central PA. It's a pretty desolate area for major hospitals/healthcare

That being said OP, you may want to cross off Commonwealth