• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 35S MCAT

Dictionaria

Jan 9, 2011
  1. Pre-Medical
    I'm looking to have my school list critiqued. By the time my actual application goes through, I should have about 33 more credits into my GPA, so it's on the upswing. I'm capable of maintaining MI residency or filling out the paperwork to establish NC residency (and I would love to hear recommendations on that). Obviously UNC would be a top choice, so I'm very curious about whether it would be worth it to switch my residency or if my stats are just too low to make the trouble of applying worth it no matter what I manage.

cGPA: 3.4
    sGPA: 3.3
    MCAT: 35S (12 PS, 12 BS, 11 VB)

Extracurriculars/Employment/Shadowing:
    -3 years as a research technician in a genetics laboratory (10-20 hrs/week)
    -4 years involved with an educational non-profit, including campus branch president and administration for national functions (10-20 hrs/week)
    -2 years hospice care volunteer (3-6 hrs/week)
    -Approximately 40 hours shadowing DOs

DO:
    DMU-COM
    ATSU-Kirksville
    Campbell
    Marian
    MSU-COM
    LMU-DCOM
    LE-COM
    PCSOM

MD:
    UNC
    University of Iowa
    MSU-CHM

Last edited:

ValentineLissar

7+ Year Member
    Jun 3, 2010
      I don't know the specific schools off the top of my head but for MD schools, apply to some of the mid-west (Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia) schools, newer schools, and a couple of reaches.

For DO schools, also think about applying to PCOM (in Pennsylvania) , KCUMB (in Missouri), and NSU (in Florida). If you're applying to PCOM, make sure you can get a letter of rec from your department head.

I think if you keep your GPA up, you have a decent shot at getting in a MD school. DO schools will eat you up too. For EC's maybe see if you can get some leadership experience. Otherwise, you should be sitting pretty.

Lastly, apply early.

Good luck!

theamazingbil

Aug 11, 2011
      East Coast baby.
      1. Pre-Medical
        With that mcat and possibly a ~3.5 or more, I think you have a good shot at UNC if you were in-state. I live in NC and besides UNC the only other public school we have is Brody and I don't think it is worth getting a NC residency for trying to get into UNC, unless it is definitely one of your main choices...and that's just because I think you could get into a couple Michigan MD schools. If you do apply to UNC as an out-of-state applicant (even though your MCAT is fantastic) your chances are kinda slim. They have a huge in-state bias and reject near perfect stats OOS applicants all the time.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.