3.4 cgpa 3.6 sgpa for DO ...3.28 3.47 for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKA<0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am seeking solid advice. I have a 28 mcat (12p/5v/11b) taken in April, so I am retaking. I was too late to grab any closer seats, so my retake is now July 12. I want to apply mainly DO with the exception of my state school and a couple schools in Florida because my dad is moving there so I have ties to the state. My mcat average for aamc was in 32-34 range and I expect my retake to meet this. I am emphasizing verbal while studying this time. I consistently get 10+ when I give myself an extra 20 minutes so I'm working on time.

My ECs are
Emt-B ( clinical hours ~60 in ER as well as on Ambulance)
Started my own LLC. ( actually profitable and investigated emerging technology in renewable energy)
Research for 100+ hours in exercise science and physiology lab with emphasis in endocrinology
Shadowed Ortho surgeons, Internal Medicine family practice (DO), and Derm for around 80 hours still doing this...
Tutored organic chemistry and physics to students who qualified for financial aid through my university my entire senior year.
Recently hired as full time Med-Scribe for one year contract.

Taking a gap year

3 good LORs one from DO and one from MD still working on 2 more science profs

I want to apply both MD and DO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 28 MCAT won't screen you out for DO. If you want to go to a DO school, I wouldn't even bother with the retake, I think your stats are fine

My top choice for DO is KCUMB and they have a 7 in any section minimum. Plus I feel like I'm better than a 28.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still think retaking a 28 is foolish unless you are aiming for MD. But for DO, that score is fine.

Honestly retaking may hurt you as schools will question your judgement, and if you get a lower score or no improvement it would hurt you. @Goro what do you think?

I also forgot to mention I have a very strong upward trend... My freshman year was 2.1ish only one science class thank god

And yes, I want to keep my options open as far as MD goes.

Then it's a little confusing since your OP said you wanted to apply mainly DO. One piece of advice - do not apply to both, get accepted to DO then withdraw to try again for MD. It burns bridges and would hurt your chances of ever getting into DO in the future. If you want MD, then only apply to schools you'd be happy going to if it was your only option. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
@CINDIEE I think you'd be ok if you have good EC, good LOR, good GPA. It may auto screen at some schools but I think you'd be ok if overall is 28 or higher. But try to submit app to 1 school when application opens, so you are verified and just have to update MCAT. Also try pre writing as many secondaries as you can. Good luck

Last edited:
@CINDIEE I think you'd be ok if you have good EC, good LOR, good GPA. It may auto screen at some schools but I think you'd be ok if overall is 28 or higher. But try to submit app to 1 school when application opens, so you are verified and just have to update MCAT. Also try pre writing as many secondaries as you can. Good luck
thank you! I thought this thread was not on the WAMC so I deleted my post but it actually was. Thanks for your comment though!

OP, if your dream school auto screens mcat, definitely retake it. I don't think there's a real argument for you not to unless you think you can't do better than a 5.

I've already registered and have been studying everyday since I got my last score back. A retake is happening . I get 10+ in verbal when I allow myself extra time. So I'm working on timing. If I get a 33-34 do I have a shot at my state MD school or public and private Florida MDs .. plus DO schools like KCUMB and NOVA or is it too late to apply early August?

Test results came in and I got a 28 again albeit a 10/8/10 . I understand I'm out of it for MD but what are my chances for DO such as kcumb nova kcom and dmu?? @Goro

Last edited:
I edited my last post that's why the date is from May

Test results came in and I got a 28 again albeit a 10/8/10 . I understand I'm out of it for MD but what are my chances for DO such as kcumb nova kcom and dmu?? @Goro
chances are great, but I wouldn't bank on getting into a specific school. I would apply to 8 schools at least to be safe.

chances are great, but I wouldn't bank on getting into a specific school. I would apply to 8 schools at least to be safe.
Thank you for the boost in confidence.