3.4 cGPA / 4.0 sGPA, What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zusammen17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am a political science major who has returned to school to complete the medical school requirements. Currently, I've finished all of the requirements at a large state school and have taken a few other science courses including gross human anatomy, microbiology and clinical immunology. I will be taking the MCAT in January.

Stats:

• cGPA 3.4
  • sGPA 4.0

ECs / Work experience:

• Student Instruction leader for General chemistry I and II
  • Research in Organic chemistry, 2 semesters
  • Marathoner and Triathlete
  • 1,000+ volunteer hours: Habitat for humanity, Big brothers and sisters
  • 200+ volunteer at hospital as patient transport
  • 50+ hours, shadowing ENT and general practitioner.
  • Spanish: advanced in speech, writing and reading.
  • Residential Adviser, 2 years during undergrad
  • Tennis team, during undergrad
  • Co-founder and president of chess club, during undergrad

Questions:

1. Should I apply to DO schools in October/November even though I do not have an MCAT score, or should I wait until January to apply? I realize that I would be applying very late in the cycle and that my chance of success is low. However, I'd like to enter school as soon as possible, so I'm willing to gamble if there is some chance of success.
  2. Will my sGPA compensate for my lower cGPA? Since I've gone back to school, I've become very motivated and focused on my school work.
  3. If I do not make it in this cycle, are there other options that may be beneficial for me as a non-traditional student? i.e. Post-bac programs, MS in anatomy/physiology
  4. Finally, what sort of MCAT should I be aiming for to be competitive for MD/DO schools if I were to apply early next cycle?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

[*]Should I apply to DO schools in October/November even though I do not have an MCAT score, or should I wait until January to apply? I realize that I would be applying very late in the cycle and that my chance of success is low. However, I'd like to enter school as soon as possible, so I'm willing to gamble if there is some chance of success.

[*]Will my sGPA compensate for my lower cGPA? Since I've gone back to school, I've become very motivated and focused on my school work.

[*]If I do not make it in this cycle, are there other options that may be beneficial for me as a non-traditional student? i.e. Post-bac programs, MS in anatomy/physiology

[*]Finally, what sort of MCAT should I be aiming for to be competitive for MD/DO schools if I were to apply early next cycle?
[/LIST]
Thanks!

1 I have no idea
2 a little
3 It depends on your MCAT (for MD)
4 It depends on your state of residence (for MD)

Does anyone have experience applying late in the DO cycle?

Hey,
I am new on the forum as well., but we have something in common: same cGPA and sGPA. were i to be you, i would call specific DO/MD schools i am interested in. I believe they (schools) are the most reliable source of information.
If you plan on applying next cycle that wouldn't be bad as well; just take your time to maximize your chances. Impressive ECs.