3.4 cgPA + chances for Predental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazydesi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have taken my DATs and I got the scores below.

My current stats is about cgpa 3.4 and sgpa about 3.15

22AA 23TS 22PA

I just wanted to know what you all think of my chances for dental school ?

I graduated with a B.s. in industrial engineering last may and then took about 20 credits of science classes to build my science gpa.

I just wanted to know where I would stand if I were to apply this coming summer.

I have pretty good ec's such as manager of dance team, vice president of a club, president of another club, fundraising money for cancer, and started working in a dental office recently where I will get a good letter of rec.

I just wanted to know basiclaly should I take more science classes next semester or just work on my ec's? Last 50 credits I had a gpa of 3.8+ (which includes the upper level sciences and engineering classes)

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

With your DAT scores, I would say you have a decent shot. It's all about finding the school that fits your status the best. For example, you don't want to apply to schools that put very high stock into a high sGPA. You want to go more with the schools that are a little forgiving in that area and want higher DAT scores. In my opinion, DAT scores are more fair than GPAs anyway because some schools hand out 4.0s like cake. What you could do is take some grad level science courses that you will see in dental school (Physio, Histo, Micro, Neuroanatomy, etc...) and prove that you can do well in those classes. Best of luck my friend, PM me if you need any other advice!

Thank you

yes I might take histology and two more upper level sciences next semester so it's not too much because I am also working on my business so have to spread my time.

I figure it will cost me like couple grand for the tuition but in long run only make my app better I think.

I mean I calculated if I take an additional 12 credits it will only bring my sGPA upto like 3.22 from 3.15. Is that worth spending 3k or should I focus on ec's ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have very similar stats to yours. I have a 3.46 cGPA and a 3.26 sGPA. My DAT was 22AA and 23TS. I submitted my app in june and took the dat on september first. I received an interview in november from Minnesota and Oklahoma.

That being said I think you do have a good shot. You probably have a better shot then me since you will be applying early with DAT scores! Keep shadowing and building your life experiences and you will be a fairly competitive applicant.

you have good GPA, amazing DAT, but low sGPA. I do believe you have a decent shot of landing interviews. But there is another factor to your application.

How many schools you planning to apply to? IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, you should aim at 15-20. I... sort of have a similar application (3.3 overall, 3.6 science, 21AA 22TS, and my last 54 credits with many upper level were straight 4.0).... I applied to 18, 1 rejection and 8 interviews (all before Dec 1st).

Another few things, avoid applying to case western reserve, from my experience with them, they love to see high GPA (overall, science, AND non-science). I always tell folks like yourself to apply to both michigan schools (U of M and detroit mercy), they like to see the whole applicant instead of just pure numbers and both are kinda out-of-state friendly.

As far as the time being. Taking more courses to bring up that sGPA isn't a bad idea.

thank you all for your responses.

Yea i hope to really build my EC's even though I have a lot more than I said in there.

I have nothing against taking classes next semester because I mean it only costs $3k for a full time status at Stony Brook University since I am instate, however only thing is that I am starting a business and just wanted to put some effort into that so I can start having some sort of income.

I guess I can't do everything, but how would taking only 9 credits look? Will dental schools frown on my at the fact that I was only part time?

I am in process of starting two different businesses. One is a liquor store (I know doesnt sound like anything cool but I have an awseome location and it's going to be a unique type of liquor wine store) and another is a product I engineered with a friend that we are trying to bring to production.

We have presentation for the product we invented in front of angel investors this week so if we get initial funding that would be great! But just wanted your opinion on how Dental schools would look at this type of endeavours?