3.4 gpa 30 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinatownhustle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: SUNY-Binghamton
Science GPA: 3.5
Cumulative GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 30R
Home state: NY
Major: Engineering

Extracurriculars
- 3 Years as a volunteer EMT
- Some volunteer work at local hospitals
- Shadowed an ER doctor and pediatrician
- Worked as an administrative assistant during
- Research in engineering field

I am a junior this year, can I get into any med schools with this kind of resume? What else can I do to boost this, besides working hard on my GPA.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical experience looks good. Hopefully, you have a fair amount of shadowing. It's good you have some research. What about leadership, teaching, sports, hobbies, nonmedical community service, and artistic endeavors?

With your GPA on the low side (median for acceptees is 3.65) and an MCAT of 30 (hopefully with balanced subscores) getting an acceptance as you are would be iffy unless you plan to add some DO schools to your list. Consider waiting a year if you are aiming for allo schools alone, to raise your GPA further, or consider trying for an MCAT of 33+.

Members don't see this ad :)
engineering is a notoriously difficult major isn't it? I don't know if adcoms consider that. you have great clinical experience but not much else in terms of EC's. you could get in somewhere possibly if you apply very broadly and include safeties. taking a year off might be more beneficial if you can get good grades to boost up your GPA. since your cGPA is also low you could fill up on some really easy breadth courses to inflate it. during that time, you can also pursue leadership, non-medical volunteering, teaching, employment, research, and etc.

Thanks for the advice,

What about consider Caribbean med schools. How are they? And I have been looking at some DO schools in NYS, but what are the better ones?

Your clinical experience looks good. Hopefully, you have a fair amount of shadowing. It's good you have some research. What about leadership, teaching, sports, hobbies, nonmedical community service, and artistic endeavors?

With your GPA on the low side (median for acceptees is 3.65) and an MCAT of 30 (hopefully with balanced subscores) getting an acceptance as you are would be iffy unless you plan to add some DO schools to your list. Consider waiting a year if you are aiming for allo schools alone, to raise your GPA further, or consider trying for an MCAT of 33+.

i see... although, i have heard that mant residency positions go unfilled each year.

more and more DO schools are opening....

and more MD schools are letting in more apps and opening some schools.

That is going to change.....

eventually they hope to get all residents from just the US.

more and more DO schools are opening....

and more MD schools are letting in more apps and opening some schools.

That is going to change.....

eventually they hope to get all residents from just the US.

Source?

Thanks for all the advice. I have noticed that many people on this forum are goign to public clinics. Any idea how I may get involved in one of these this summer?

Thanks.

I read it in a thread in here where there was a discussion....

go and Pubmed search it if you want a source or google it!! :laugh:

Thanks for all the advice. I have noticed that many people on this forum are goign to public clinics. Any idea how I may get involved in one of these this summer?

Thanks.

I just went to the main one we have in my area that is a free clinic and asked what they had available...got a position and went from there.

I suggest going in person if you have social skills.