3.4 gpa, 36 MCAT What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppappui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to SDN here. Reapplying for the third time. I'm a CA resident with 3.4 GPA and 36 (14Phys,12Bio,10V) MCAT. My clinical experience is kind of weak (currently volunteering and doing an internship in a hospital during gap year, shadowed a doctor one summer, did one summer of volunteering), have nice research experience (1 full year in UCI cancer lab post graduation and 2 years in college). I'm applying to pretty much everywhere (mostly mid to lower tier schools), and was wondering what my chances would be. Will my lack of clinical experience in the past hurt or the fact that I'm currently doing it for the upcoming year will be enough? Hoping to hear some good responses from my fellow genius SDN members :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Questions:
- What significant attributes have you acquired since your last two unsuccessful application cycles?
- Did you obtain any feedback from schools that rejected you? If so, what did they say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions:
- What significant attributes have you acquired since your last two unsuccessful application cycles?

- Did you obtain any feedback from schools that rejected you? If so, what did they say?

I have done research to get more experience in a lab and have been volunteering since June + just got into a patient care internship in a hospital, starting August for the upcoming year. Both trying to cover for my lack of clinical experience. I wonder if that's enough cuz i'm not hearing back for interviews yet :(

I have done research to get more experience in a lab and have been volunteering since June + just got into a patient care internship in a hospital, starting August for the upcoming year.
These are all awesome experiences and should make you more competitive. However, it still sounds like you haven't added any clinical experience since your last two cycles (you only plan to), which might not do you any favors this cycle. In any case, there's no point in worrying about things that cannot be changed. You have great ECs lined up for the upcoming year to address your major weaknesses, and that's all that can be asked of you.

I wonder if that's enough cuz i'm not hearing back for interviews yet :(
I wouldn't worry about it yet, at this stage of the game only the best of the best are receiving interviews. If you are a borderline applicant you shouldn't expect anything until later in the fall.

Any publications for the research? That would be a big plus I think, and you may want to angle towards mid tier institutions barely out of the top 20 to top 50 that want to boost their research, like Ohio State (pretty decent OOS school) and the SUNY Schools which are nice to California residents, also places like MCW, etc.

Good luck!