3.4 GPA and a 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay_Jay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.23
MCAT: 30 (8:v, 10:bs, 12ps)
Major: Biochemistry with a minor in French

So, here's my story, i know my scores are not competitive, i can't change the choices i made as an ungrad. I am non-traditional since i've been out of school for two years working in production at a large pharmaceutical company which is the primary driving force behind the decision to try and go to medical school. Since i realize that my scores are not competitive, i've decided to go for my masters in biomedical engineering. I worked my ass off I have been accepted at one of the top twenty programs in the nation for BME. If i do well in this program, will it show the adcom that I can handle difficult science courses and perhaps change the tide in my favor?

Volunteer:
150+ hours as a guardian ad litem for the juvenile court, I visit foster children, their parents, their doctors and their teachers to see how they are doing in their current placement. I then advocate for them in court and testify as to their case file
* Planning on starting volunteering at our local free clinic

EC:
not really sure how this applies to non-traditional applicants since i work 50+ hours a week

LOR:
I plan on having my graduate advisor and my volunteer supervisor write letters

Leadership:
I have experience as a project manager at a biotech company

Shadowing:
None so far

So my question to all SDN members, what can i do to make myself more attractive as an applicant. I don't plan on applying this cycle or even next, but i do plan on applying after graduate school. Will it help if a took a post-bac program? Will my "life experiences" be looked upon favorably? Advice in general? Should I even bother with my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Some clinical experience should help and/or shadowing. I'm sure the volunteering thing you are planning on doing will help also.
EMT, scribe, transport, MA, or other exposures to medicine/health.
I think your numbers are little low for MD but good for DO. GPA is slightly less for DO avg, but MCAT is 3+ the avg.

Yep, even for DO you'll still need to get some clinical experience and shadowing. For MD you'll also need to do a post bacc to raise your sGPA (>3.4) or do an SMP.