3.4 post-bac in Special Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think they will care how well the med students did, but they will certainly care how you did. How would the adcoms even know how the med students scored?
Someone once told me 3.5 or better was the magic number for SMPs.

I'm afraid that youmight get some interviews, but will get wait-listed by the less than stellar GPA, when you should have been shining. AdComs will only see your course grade, not how you did compared to everyone else. On the plus side, you'll be fine for any DO program.

IF you can ace the MCAT, your best bet will be with your state MD school (if any) and all new and low-tier MD programs.

I have a 3.25 and 30 MCAT out of undergrad, which I know is quite low. I have quite good extracurriculars.

I applied last year and got a few interviews but didn't get in, so I decided to attend a pretty well-known post-bacc this year. It basically puts us in classes with medical students and we're graded the same as those med students.

The way it's looking, I may end up getting a 3.4 by the end of the semester. That's not great... but I've scored at the med average or higher on every test/class so far. Unfortunately, they don't get GPA grades so I can't make a direct comparison.

When other med schools see my GPA, will they immediately boot my application out because the 3.4 is low, or would they see it more favorably because it shows I outperformed the med students in their own classes?

Reactions: 1 user