3-4 year break between residency and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobaoversoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get responses from people in different fields so I posted here, but if there's a more appropriate place please move it!

I was talking to a few of my classmates about the NHSC scholarship program and the topic of completing a fellowship after finishing the service requirement came up. I was saying that I didn't think it was likely that a person interested in a fellowship would be able to easily get into one after practicing general medicine (IM, peds, FM or psych) for three or four years at one of the underserved sites, but another student disagreed. I've obviously never gone through the fellowship application process so I didn't really put up much of a debate, but I was hoping to get some insight from others.

Is it realistic to hope to get into a fellowship program three to four years removed from residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping to get responses from people in different fields so I posted here, but if there's a more appropriate place please move it!

I was talking to a few of my classmates about the NHSC scholarship program and the topic of completing a fellowship after finishing the service requirement came up. I was saying that I didn't think it was likely that a person interested in a fellowship would be able to easily get into one after practicing general medicine (IM, peds, FM or psych) for three or four years at one of the underserved sites, but another student disagreed. I've obviously never gone through the fellowship application process so I didn't really put up much of a debate, but I was hoping to get some insight from others.

Is it realistic to hope to get into a fellowship program three to four years removed from residency?

I was also interested in this, and discussed it with faculty on my campus. Was told that several previous applicants have been able to successfully match into IM specialties, but what is difficult is for the physician to come back to 5 figures after making 6 figures for a while. I guess it's up to the physician to decide whether it's worth it to come back.

This probably belongs in the NHSC/PHS/IHS subforum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was also interested in this, and discussed it with faculty on my campus. Was told that several previous applicants have been able to successfully match into IM specialties, but what is difficult is for the physician to come back to 5 figures after making 6 figures for a while. I guess it's up to the physician to decide whether it's worth it to come back.

This probably belongs in the NHSC/PHS/IHS subforum.

I didn't put it there only because it wasn't particularly NHSC-centered, just a general question on odds of obtaining fellowship several years after residency. I also agree with the point on it being hard to go back to the salary and hours of a resident/fellow

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your competition and the specialty e.g. you can't walk into cards with an FM/psych CV whereas nephrology probably shouldn't be too bad if you haven't forgotten renal. (PC fellowships like geriatrics/sports med/palliative care shouldn't be a problem.)

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on your competition and the specialty e.g. you can't walk into cards with an FM/psych CV whereas nephrology probably shouldn't be too bad if you haven't forgotten renal. (PC fellowships like geriatrics/sports med/palliative care shouldn't be a problem.)

So take for example someone that completed an IM residency. Would they be able to be taken seriously if applying for a cardiology fellowship after four years of practicing general medicine?