DO 3.41/3.46, 35 MCAT - looking for DO suggestions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterwind_23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two months ago, I made a thread asking for help compiling a list of MD schools to apply to. Now that my MD list is almost finalized, I'm starting to compile a DO list. I'm not sure where to start, and the only DO school I know I'll be applying to is Touro-CA, since it is close to my home. Here are my stats briefly:

- cGPA: 3.41, sGPa: 3.46 (Undergrad GPA: 3.27, Post-bacc GPA: 4.0)
- MCAT: 35 (13 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)
- California resident, Asian male, non-trad (will be turning 26 when I apply), low-income/first generation (applying as disadvantaged)
- Yale University, chemistry major
- Average ECs
- Research: two summer REUs at universities outside of my undergrad, senior research project (no publications)
- Letters of rec: Nothing special. Two letters from science professors, one from PI, and one from volunteer coordinator
- Work experience: customer support and account management at tech companies (~2.5 years right after college)

I am thinking of applying to 5-6 DO programs, but will increase the number if needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Two months ago, I made a thread asking for help compiling a list of MD schools to apply to. Now that my MD list is almost finalized, I'm starting to compile a DO list. I'm not sure where to start, and the only DO school I know I'll be applying to is Touro-CA, since it is close to my home. Here are my stats briefly:

- cGPA: 3.41, sGPa: 3.46 (Undergrad GPA: 3.27, Post-bacc GPA: 4.0)
- MCAT: 35 (13 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)
- California resident, Asian male, non-trad (will be turning 26 when I apply), low-income/first generation (applying as disadvantaged)
- Yale University, chemistry major
- Average ECs
- Research: two summer REUs at universities outside of my undergrad, senior research project (no publications)
- Letters of rec: Nothing special. Two letters from science professors, one from PI, and one from volunteer coordinator
- Work experience: customer support and account management at tech companies (~2.5 years right after college)

I am thinking of applying to 5-6 DO programs, but will increase the number if needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
To be honest, you are a very, very strong applicant to all DO schools. Just check out their mission statements and analyze their physical proximity to where you wanna be and cost to see what you have in mind. Good luck!

To be honest, you are a very, very strong applicant to all DO schools. Just check out their mission statements and analyze their physical proximity to where you wanna be and cost to see what you have in mind. Good luck!

Thanks! What are some DO schools that:

- Are most reputed/established
- Have the best clinical rotations (Maybe affiliated with a large teaching hospital?)
- Have the best match lists
- Don't have in-state bias (i.e., public state schools)

I'm not so concerned about where the school is located, but obviously it would be nice for it to be located in a large, vibrant city. What DO schools come to mind when thinking about the above criteria?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've come up with a list of schools. Can someone critique please?

PCOM
DMU
Touro-CA
Western
KCUMB
CCOM
A.T. Still
Nova

I was also wondering whether it would be worth it to apply to public state DO schools? Should I consider applying to any of these schools?:

MSU
Ohio University
Oklahoma State University
Rowan University
Texas

Thanks!

Not a chance until you shadow and get a LOR from a DO and know why osteopathic medicine.

Not a chance until you shadow and get a LOR from a DO and know why osteopathic medicine.

I will have shadowed two DOs by the time I apply and I already have a DO letter. As for why DO, I want to be a physician. Is there a better reason?

Your list seems good.

If you meant AT Still SOMA, look at their curriculum before you apply.