3.43 c, 3.36 s, 32 S Texas Res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturaDocta

Pop_Princess_MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Been a while since I've been to these boards. I see you have a different look. Cool. Anyway, I'm graduating this year from undergrad (bio major) and I wanted to start planning for the future. But, I unfortunately still haven't decided when I want to begin medical school (the long term goal).

In addition, I still haven't nailed an interesting job or done any of my desired travelling experiences. So, my point is that things aren't set in stone. But, one thing is for certain... I don't want to start medical for at least a year.

I do want to know how a few gap years would look on my application when I finally do decide to apply. I also want to know where my stats will take me as soon as I do apply.

Alright, let's get to business:

My gpa isn't great, I know. But, I have a pretty good upward trend. I started out with a shrappy sub-3.0. Even though I've been taking advanced science courses for the past two years, my GPA has gone up quite a bit. So, I'm pretty content about that.

I really think my MCAT may help a little bit. If not, I may just retake (or may have to if it expires). The problem I see is that I retook it about three times (in jan I voided, in april i voided again - burnt out (from my job and school) before taking it, and in June I finally bit the bullet and got a 32 (11, 10, 11 S)).

Anyway, my clinical experiences are really good (urban hospital volunteering 3 yrs, hospice volunteer 3 yrs, clinical working experience ~2 yrs)
Extrac. experience- tutoring 2.5 yrs, after school programs w/ elementary kids 9 months,

I don't have much research experience, other than one semester. But, I ended up falling in love with the subject and am waiting to here back from a few job applications. This is one reason for my delay to medical school. That and I want to travel some.

And lastly, I'm a TEXAN!!! whoo hoo! Lucky me. Anyway, schools of interest are ATM and UT san antonio, and TCOM (my fave docs that I worked for were mostly TCOM grads!).

I welcome any suggestions and really appreciate your input in regards to "what are my chances" for any school you suggest. Thanks!

PS. I applied to one post-bacc linkage program and just go accepted just in case I freak out about losing my momentum (it's on the back of every student who takes a break).

Members don't see this ad.

Been a while since I've been to these boards. I see you have a different look. Cool. Anyway, I'm graduating this year from undergrad (bio major) and I wanted to start planning for the future. But, I unfortunately still haven't decided when I want to begin medical school (the long term goal).

In addition, I still haven't nailed an interesting job or done any of my desired travelling experiences. So, my point is that things aren't set in stone. But, one thing is for certain... I don't want to start medical for at least a year.

1) I do want to know how a few gap years would look on my application when I finally do decide to apply.
2) I also want to know where my stats will take me as soon as I do apply.

My gpa isn't great, I know. But, I have a pretty good upward trend. I started out with a shrappy sub-3.0. Even though I've been taking advanced science courses for the past two years, my GPA has gone up quite a bit. So, I'm pretty content about that.

3) I really think my MCAT may help a little bit. If not, I may just retake (or may have to if it expires). The problem I see is that I retook it about three times (in jan I voided, in april i voided again - burnt out (from my job and school) before taking it, and in June I finally bit the bullet and got a 32 (11, 10, 11 S)).

Anyway, my clinical experiences are really good (urban hospital volunteering 3 yrs, hospice volunteer 3 yrs, clinical working experience ~2 yrs)
Extrac. experience- tutoring 2.5 yrs, after school programs w/ elementary kids 9 months,

I don't have much research experience, other than one semester. But, I ended up falling in love with the subject and am waiting to here back from a few job applications. This is one reason for my delay to medical school. That and I want to travel some.

And lastly, I'm a TEXAN!!! whoo hoo! Lucky me. Anyway, schools of interest are ATM and UT san antonio, and TCOM (my fave docs that I worked for were mostly TCOM grads!).

I welcome any suggestions and really appreciate your input in regards to "what are my chances" for any school you suggest. Thanks!

PS. I applied to one post-bacc linkage program and just go accepted just in case I freak out about losing my momentum (it's on the back of every student who takes a break).
1) As long as you are engaged in meaningful activities: work, travel, research, volunteering, more coursework, etc. then gap years are not an issue.

2) Your GPAs are right in line with those of the average matriculant to AACOMAS DO schools. Your MCAT score is better than the average MD acceptee. Putting these together, especially with a strong upward grade trend, makes you a strong DO candidate, and gives you a chance at less-selective MD schools. If you complete a postbac-with-linkage program with a 3.7+ GPA, your chances at MD are obviously better. There's a (relatively cheap) program on the TCOM campus that gives one similar improvement in odds at all Texas schools.

3) An MCAT score is good for 2 or 3 years at most schools, and for 4-10 at a few. The voided scores won't show up on your transcript. Strategizing about a retake, or avoiding one, is good to engage in well ahead of time.