DO 3.43 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, Chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pollos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My top choice for DO school is MSU-COM since I am a Michigan resident.

Stats:
Public Univeristy
3.43 cGPA
3.45 sGPA
MCAT hopefully above a 28?

EC's:
Summer Internship shadowing surgeons (MD and DO) >250 hours shadowing
20 hours shadowing Internal Med MD
6 week long volunteer trips around American (40 hours each so ~240 hours)
~150 hours volunteering in a free health clinic
~40 hours volunteering in a hospital
Finance Chair position of volunteer organization
~150 additional volunteer hours from organization
TA for my schools cadaver anatomy lab
1 year of tutoring for cadaver anatomy lab
Couple service awards from University
Possible anatomy research poster this semester
1 year of physiology research but was only ~4 hrs per week, no publications (I honestly hated it)
Taking a year off to work for Americorps in a health related field

For LOR's, I recently decided to go DO because of my stats and because I think osteopathic is a better fit for me so I don't have a DO that could write me a letter of recommendation (yet).

I've spent my whole undergrad focusing on MD that I have mainly ignored DO programs which is why I need an idea of what my chances are. Top choices or MSU-COM, OU-COM or CCOM because they're close to home but they also have higher GPA averages than my stats. For DO schools, do I stand a chance for those that have average GPA's of 3.6?

Members don't see this ad.

My top choice for DO school is MSU-COM since I am a Michigan resident.

Stats:
Public Univeristy
3.43 cGPA
3.45 sGPA
MCAT hopefully above a 28?

EC's:
Summer Internship shadowing surgeons (MD and DO) >250 hours shadowing
20 hours shadowing Internal Med MD
6 week long volunteer trips around American (40 hours each so ~240 hours)
~150 hours volunteering in a free health clinic
~40 hours volunteering in a hospital
Finance Chair position of volunteer organization
~150 additional volunteer hours from organization
TA for my schools cadaver anatomy lab
1 year of tutoring for cadaver anatomy lab
Couple service awards from University
Possible anatomy research poster this semester
1 year of physiology research but was only ~4 hrs per week, no publications (I honestly hated it)
Taking a year off to work for Americorps in a health related field

For LOR's, I recently decided to go DO because of my stats and because I think osteopathic is a better fit for me so I don't have a DO that could write me a letter of recommendation (yet).

I've spent my whole undergrad focusing on MD that I have mainly ignored DO programs which is why I need an idea of what my chances are. Top choices or MSU-COM, OU-COM or CCOM because they're close to home but they also have higher GPA averages than my stats. For DO schools, do I stand a chance for those that have average GPA's of 3.6?
I think 27 MCAT would give you a good shot at MSU-COM and OU-COM. I think your MCAT should be a little bit higher for CCOM (like 28-29). But a 24 MCAT will get into other low tier DO. You might need to consider MU-COM since you would like to stay in the Midwest.

If you can score >30 on MCAT, then MD schools are also viable (like Wayne State, Loyola, Rush, MCW and MSU). High 20s? All DO programs, including mine.

I've spent my whole undergrad focusing on MD that I have mainly ignored DO programs which is why I need an idea of what my chances are. Top choices or MSU-COM, OU-COM or CCOM because they're close to home but they also have higher GPA averages than my stats. For DO schools, do I stand a chance for those that have average GPA's of 3.6?[/quote]